TETA TheatreFest Exhibits
We are RETURNING to Dallas!!
What are the TETA Exhibits?
TheatreFest is one of the largest State Theatre Conventions in the country. In the past, over 2000 Theatre educators and students have attended this four-day Convention. In addition, the Convention has:
· A play competition - PlayFest
· A technical competition – DesignFest
· A film competition - FilmFest
· Scholarship Auditions
· Over 350 workshops and events
· Featured special artists like, Angela Lansbury, Bernadette Peters, Jason Alexander, etc.
· Over 115 Theatre commercial and educational exhibitors
The Exhibit area for TheatreFest generally has about 100 (80 slots this year) vendors. Commercial vendors from all over the world and college/universities from throughout the United States make up these participants.
What are other reasons to Exhibit at TheatreFest September 2018?
Other reasons to join us this year:
· Due to popular request, Convention has been moved back to Wednesday through Saturday. Sundays are back to being yours!
· Free internet throughout the Hotel for all staying at the hotel! This saves vendors about $740!!
· Free Hotel parking! This saves vendors about $100.
· Rooms are only $170!! This saves vendors about $200.
· Total potential savings would be about $1,140 from years past!!
· TETA students to assist you with loading and unloading! Also on hand to assist during each day.
· Exhibitor Reception!
Who can participate in the TETA Exhibits?
Any organization may register for the Convention and rent an exhibit booth for an extra charge.
Why did TETA TheatreFest move from January to September?
A lot of thought and discussion went into the decision to move the Convention to September. January was always a great time for Theatre Artists/Teachers to have a mid-year break and recharge! However, a few years ago UIL decided to move the start date of UIL One Act Play competitions from March to Feb. With this move, many schools expressed concern about stopping their rehearsal and prep for contest a few weeks before their actual contest date to attend TheatreFest. In that UIL and TheatreFest has had a long shared history, the TETA Board of Directors decided to remove the conflict and change the date of the Convention. But why September? The Convention had to be moved to the Fall, in that it could not be moved after the month of January. Conversations took place for each possible month:
- December – College and Universities are in finals during the first week of December and then they are out. Also, too many events taking place during that month.
- November – Our sister organization, Thespians, usually has their convention during this month, and many schools are out for a week for Thanksgiving.
- October – This month had several issues
- Too close to the Thespian Convention (some years the Thespian Convention is in late October).
- Our sister organization, Speech, have their convention in October. Many of our TETA members teach both Theatre and Speech, and would need to attend the Speech convention.
- Most of our Exhibitors have a peak “Halloween” season during October with costume, makeup and equipment rentals.
This left us with September, as the only viable option. For this reason, we moved the Convention to the furthest point in September that we could. This will give a month after most schools are back in session to prepare prior to the Convention. The TETA Board knows that there are issues for schools trying to go through the payment process starting early September for a late September Convention. To counter these issues, the Board has agreed to the following:
- Early Registration will no longer end one month prior to the Convention. Early Registration will go right up till two weeks prior to the Convention in order for more time to pay.
- In the past, there were two separate registrations for the Convention, which meant two invoices: membership registration and Convention registration. Starting this year, we are combining the two registrations into one process. Only one invoice! This should streamline the registration process and take far less time.
Once the decision was made to move to September, the Board discussed other reasons to move the Convention. Consider:
- TETA’s direct mission is training teachers in Theatre Education. With Convention being in January, we are asking new teachers to go for one semester without the support and training that comes with the Convention. With this in mind, having the Convention in September supports TETA’s mission far better.
- Likewise, the September date is better for new teachers participating in the UIL OAP competition for the first time. Giving assistance in UIL OAP in January is far too late. UIL deadlines have past, and offering training and assistance with the contest a few weeks away, was a real issue. Now we can assist the new directors in late September prior to the deadlines and before their OAP rehearsals start!
- September may be a better time for our Vendors
- The opportunity to sell play scripts prior to the OAP title submission deadline.
- Many school budgets start Sept. 1st. This allows for more spending at the beginning of the year when funds are available.
- With the Convention in Jan., most Colleges/Universities have already awarded all of the scholarship funds for the next year. By having the Convention in September, we become one if the first scholarship auditions in the State! Hopefully, with this change, more students and institutions will participate in the Auditions.
We know that change is always difficult, and moving the Convention to any month has its rewards and issues. However, this move was considered mission critical and what was best for the membership.
What is new for this year’s Exhibits at TheatreFest and what is the cost?
There are no changes from last year! All parts of Convention begin with individual registration. Exhibits, Auditions, DesignFest, PlayFest, all start with a single person registering for the Convention. All are considered as add-ons to registration. The cost per booth was dropped a few years ago to compensate for all exhibit workers registering for the Convention. Membership for TETA is $50 for adults, Convention registration is $120 and a booth is $300. That is a total of $470. A few years ago a booth cost $600. Each additional booth is $500. After Sept. 12th, registration will increase by $50 and booths will be $500 for the first and $700 for each additional. Again, ALL who work the Exhibit Booths are to register for the Convention.
- To register for an Exhibit booth(s), an individual starts by registering for the Convention.
- All Convention Booths (Commercial and Educational Vendors)
- The deadline for registration and exhibit booths is Sept. 12th, 2018.
How are Exhibit booths assigned?
Booths are assigned by the following:
- Exhibitors that sponsor our Convention bags, badges and t-shirts will be assigned first, but only after a short period of time. After this short period of time, the Exhibits Chair will begin assigning all Exhibitors.
- After this short period of time, the Exhibits Chair will send an email to each exhibitor on a first registered and paid basis, and ask for the booth preference. Exhibits used to ask for booth preference, but all exhibitors asked for the same five booths. To save time, each exhibitor can email the Exhibits Chair after registering and paying for their booth, and request a specific booth. email@example.com
- A current map of the exhibits area can be found at www.sjcd.edu/TETA.
Does TETA require Exhibitors to have liability insurance?
Yes. TETA TheatreFest Exhibitors are expected to carry their own Commercial General Liability insurance and shall hold TETA harmless for any and all damage caused by theft and those perils normally covered by a fire and extended coverage policy.
What is the tentative schedule at the Convention in Dallas?
The Exhibit area will be open to the Convention participants:
· Wednesday, Sept. 26 – 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.
· Thursday, Sept. 27 - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Friday, Sept. 28 - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Saturday, Sept. 29 - 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
The loading schedule will be as follows:
· 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Freeman Set Up of Exhibits and Three Performance Spaces
· 5 p.m. - 10 p.m. - Specific Vendors Set Up Two Performance Spaces (Freeman available to advise)
· 8 a.m. - 1 p.m. – Commercial Exhibitors Set Up (Red Pass)
· 1 p.m. - 3 p.m. - College/University Exhibitors, Performers & DesignFest Set Up (Blue Pass)
· 3 p.m. - 5 p.m. - Open Loading Dock Time (Red and Blue Passes)
· 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. - Exhibit Area Open to Convention Participants
· 9:30 p.m. - 11 p.m. - TETA Exhibitor Reception
How should I register for an Exhibit booth?
In order to register for Exhibits, please follow these steps:
Step #1. Register for TheatreFest. Go to this link and register - https://sites.google.com/tetatx.com/tetatx/theatrefest?authuser=0
Step #2. While registering for the TheatreFest Convention, select that you wish to participate in
Exhibits. Select the number of booths you would like.
Step #3. Upon registering for the Convention, you will receive a confirmation email with an invoice. Use this if you did not pay each with a credit card.
Step #4. The final step in the Exhibit process will be to follow the directions sent to you in an email from the Exhibit Chair.
Suggestion: Reserve a hotel room at Renaissance Dallas Addison Hotel (Formerly the Intercontinental Dallas) (only 400 of the 600 rooms per night needed for the Convention will be at the hotel – We will sell out! Other hotels will be listed at a later time). Go to https://book.passkey.com/e/49575173 or call 800-489-0793.
Who should I contact for more information on Exhibits?
Please contact the following for:
· Exhibiting, please contact Mr. Jay Thomas at: Email: Jay.Thomas@sjcd.edu or call 281-476-1829
· An updated map of which exhibit booth spaces are available, go to www.sjcd.edu/TETA
· Convention operations, please contact Dr. Jerry Ivins, 2016 Co-Convention Director, at 281-542-2039 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Convention workshops and/or programming, please contact Mr. Greg Arp, 2018 Co-Convention Director, at email@example.com.
Past Convention Exhibits were sold out!! Please register ASAP. WE HOPE TO SEE YOU IN Dallas!!!!