Managing Your Aid

How to Keep the Funds Flowing

FAFSA CODE 003609So, you’ve been awarded financial aid. Congratulations! Now, there are a few things to keep in mind and a few steps to follow as you move forward. The first thing to understand, though, is that at any time in the process, you can lean on us for advice or guidance. We’ll help you properly utilize your funds and keep you on the right track for maintaining eligibility.


Here’s pretty much everything you need to know

Once you are awarded aid, we’ll send you notification via email. Your award information is also instantly available online in your SOS account. Please note: Award information in SOS is based on full-time enrollment, i.e., being enrolled and attending 12 credit hours. If your enrollment changes, your refund will change as well.

If you're awarded prior to payment deadlines, tuition and fees may be charged directly to Grants, Direct Loans and some scholarships, up to your eligibility.

If you have financial aid remaining after tuition and fees have been deducted, you can charge your books and supplies on a schedule posted at the San Jac Bookstores. There is a 24-hour delay before those funds will be available in the bookstore account.

After all charges (including tuition, fees, books, and supplies) have been paid, or if your financial aid is posted after registration has ended, a refund will be sent to your San Jac Card.

San Jacinto College is testing two ways of refunding financial aid after tuition, fees, and any other charges to the College are paid. Students may receive their financial aid refund in two different ways. Some students may receive a single deposit approximately 30 days after the start of the term. Other students may receive their financial aid refund deposits approximately every two weeks throughout the semester through a program called Aid Like A Paycheck. Through this program, students may receive biweekly deposits as early as three weeks into the term. Your total expected aid amount will be the same regardless of which way you receive your refund. You will receive an email if you are part of this study or if you are selected to receive biweekly deposits. For more information, visit the Aid Like A Paycheck webpage on our website.

When taking Part of Term (POT) classes, financial aid funds are authorized to cover charges until these classes begin. Once the POT classes begin, any financial aid fund balances are then processed for refund to your San Jac Card. In other words, refunds from POT classes can fall on different schedules than anticipated and/or be delayed until the start date of your future period of enrollment.

Financial Aid Refund Changes

Check your Scheduled Disbursement and Account Summary by Term to see the status of your account. You can access your financial aid information at any time.

Your enrollment status is determined by the number of semester hours you’re taking:

Full-time 12 or more hours
Three-quarter time 9-11 hours
Half-time 6-8 hours
Less than half-time 1-5 hours

Pell Grants are based on full-time enrollment and are reduced if you’re taking fewer hours.If you enrolled in less than 12 hours either during the Fall and Spring terms, you may have Pell eligibility for the summer term.

Direct Loans require you to be enrolled and attending six credit hours or more. If you are registered for parts of term, your loan will not disburse until you reach six credit hours. If you received the maximum loans during the Fall and Spring terms, additional loans are not available unless you advanced a grade level.

SEOG,TPEG and TEOG awards require at least six hours.

TEXAS Grant requires at least ¾ time enrollment.

Grants and Stafford Loans will only pay for one repeat class if it was passed with a grade of D or better.

Sometimes plans change. You might receive financial aid, register for a term and then decide not to attend. It happens. That’s why we have a withdrawal process in place, so you don’t incur any unnecessary expense.

If you should find yourself in this situation, formally withdraw yourself from your courses before classes begin. That way you won’t receive any unintended grades that could impact your GPA. What’s more, you won’t get hit with financial aid charges.

Remember, if you’re uncertain about any of this, ask someone in the Financial Aid Office. That’s why we’re here.

Let’s say you’re receiving federal financial aid, but you have to withdraw for some reason before the semester is up. Well, the law says if you didn’t complete 60% of the term, you have to pay money back. But we make the process easy for you. After you have officially withdrawn, we’ll recalculate your aid and notify you if you owe anything. This law applies to:

Pell Grants

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans and Parent Loans for Undergraduate Studies (PLUS).

Debts owed to San Jacinto College for the current term will be deducted from available financial aid. Debts from prior terms, including Return of Title IV funds, cannot be paid from financial aid. These debts must be paid from personal resources before you can register for additional classes or future semesters.

The government sets official standards of satisfactory academic progress (SAP) for you to receive financial aid, which is reviewed at the end of every semester. As long as you’re going to class and making your grades, you’ll be fine. But just so you know, San Jac measures your progress in the following ways:

Grade Point Average

San Jacinto College uses the 4.0 GPA system.


The minimum GPA required is 2.0. This is based on the aggregate hours taken at San Jacinto College, whether you change majors or are pursuing multiple degrees or certificates. It does not include transfer hours. For repeated, developmental and ESOL courses, only the highest grade is calculated in the GPA.

Pass Rate

You are expected to pass a minimum of 75 percent of all hours attempted. This includes coursework attempted at San Jacinto College and coursework transferred from other institutions. The following grades are considered successfully completed: A, B, C, D. For repeated courses, only the course with the highest grade is used to calculate the pass rate; however, these courses will still be included in your total attempted hours.

Time frame

You are expected to complete your educational objective within the first 90 hours attempted, whether you’ve changed majors or are pursuing multiple degrees or certificates. Grades of F, I, W, NG, and N, repeated, developmental and ESOL courses are counted in this total.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Statuses

If for any reason you haven’t met the GPA or pass rate standards, you will be placed on financial aid warning. Think of it as a heads-up, a way of letting you know what you need to do. Even under warning status, you can continue to receive your financial aid.

If you’re not in compliance by the end of your warning term or we receive transfer work while you are on a warning status, you will be placed on suspension and are no longer eligible to receive financial aid. But that doesn’t have to be the end of the story, there are still options for you to regain eligibility.

Maximum Time Frame
If you have attempted more than 90 hours (including transfer hours), you are no longer eligible to receive aid. There are still options for you to regain eligibility through the appeal process.

If you failed to make satisfactory academic progress and you have appealed to have your financial aid reinstated, you are placed on Probation for one term. You are required to meet the conditions stated on your appeal approval contract without exception. If you do not meet the conditions of the financial aid appeal, you will be placed on financial aid suspension.

Academic Plan
If you completed and met the conditions of the appeal during the probation term, but you still aren't making satisfactory academic progress, you will be placed on Academic Plan. While on Academic Plan, you must continue to meet the conditions of your appeal within a specific point in time as stated on your appeal packet.

Regaining eligibility
Appeals are considered for extenuating circumstances such as injury, illness, a death in the immediate family, or undue hardship. If this applies to you, you have the option to submit a written appeal to the Financial Aid Office. The deadline for submitting your appeal is at least four weeks prior to the end of the term for which you want to receive aid. Make sure to provide any supporting documentation regarding your special circumstances.

To start the financial aid appeal process, please visit with a campus financial aid advisor. Or, you can download the appeal form from our web site at Please read the form and follow the instructions very carefully. You will need to allow time to complete your typed statement, gather important documents, and meet with a counselor in the educational planning and counseling center.

If this is your first time to submit an appeal, please check with the campus where you will be submitting your appeal since many advisors work by appointment only. First time appeals are reviewed at the campus and the advisor will let you know the outcome at the end of your meeting. Appeals appointments are accepted at the following times:

Central Campus:  Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Friday, 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.


North Campus:   Monday and Wednesday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Tuesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.

Friday, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m.


South Campus:  Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 11 a.m.

To cancel or reschedule your appointment, please contact 281.998.6150. Allow 24 hours for cancellation or rescheduling. Rescheduling or cancelling your appointment may cause a delay in your appeal processing. If you arrive more than 15 minutes late, your appointment must be rescheduled. Appointments are based on a first come, first serve basis.

If it is not your first time to submit a financial aid appeal, your packet will be collected and forwarded to the appeal committee for further review. If your written appeal is denied by an advisor or the committee, you have the option to request a personal appearance with the appeal committee. If you need to request a personal appearance, only you are allowed to represent yourself to the committee. The committee meets every other week. You will be notified on their decision by email.

The other way to regain eligibility is to enroll at your own expense and bring yourself into compliance. If you go this route, just notify the Financial Aid Office.

If you submitted an appeal for review by the committee, please use the following dates to determine when your appeal will be reviewed. Appeals must be submitted no later than one week prior to the appeal meeting date. Appeal decisions will be emailed to you before the next scheduled meeting at your SJC student address. If you are requesting a personal appearance, please contact a campus financial aid office to submit the written request and obtain the location and time. Personal Appearances must be requested no later than four weeks from the end of the current term.

April 9, 2015, South Campus

April 23, 2015, South Campus

May 6, 2015, Central Campus

May 20, 2015, Central Campus

June 3, 2015, North Campus

June 17, 2015, North Campus

July 1, 2015, South Campus

July 15, 2015, South Campus

July 29, 2015, South Campus

August 5, 2015, Central Campus

August 12, 2015, Central Campus

August 19, 2015, Central Campus

August 26, 2015, Central Campus