You are here

Transferring To San Jac

Come On In

So, you’re interested in transferring to San Jac? Great! We’re honored to be part of your educational plan. And speaking of plans, let’s get started making some.

Basic Requirements

It’s pretty simple. You can transfer to San Jacinto College from another accredited college or university if you are eligible to re-enroll at the last school you attended and you complete our steps for admission. Students, not the College, are responsible, for arranging the required official transcripts to be sent. Transcripts are considered official only when they bear the signature of the registrar or some other appropriate school official, the seal of the issuing school, and are mailed or electronically transmitted from the sending institution. San Jacinto College only accepts electronic transcripts if they are placed into our account with Parchment, eScrip-Safe or the National Student Clearinghouse.  We do not accept transcripts emailed to us from any source.  Transcripts are also considered official if hand carried in a sealed envelope from the institution and submitted within 60 days of issue. Transcripts become the property of San Jacinto College and cannot be returned to the student. Transcripts will be kept on file for one year and will be destroyed if the student has not enrolled.

There are two things you should take care of right away.

  1. Please request that each college or university you attended send an official transcript to San Jacinto College, Records Management, 13735 Beamer Road, Houston, TX 77089. If you hold a bachelor's degree or higher you only need to submit a transcript from the school that awarded the degree, plus transcripts of any credit earned thereafter.
  2. Please make an official request to have San Jacinto College evaluate your transfer college transcripts to determine what courses will transfer by visiting any campus student services office or by calling 281-998-6150.

Evaluation of Transcripts for Transfer Students

Upon request the College will conduct a course-by-course evaluation of official transcripts from regionally accredited colleges and universities for students. To request an evaluation, please call 281-998-6150 or contact your campus Admissions Office or Educational Planning Counseling and Completion office. All transcripts must be received and on file by the College before the Transcript Evaluation Form is submitted. When the evaluation is completed the student will be notified via their San Jac email account after which the equivalent courses may be viewed by going to SOS, then clicking Student Records, and then clicking Unofficial Transcript.

Evaluation of Transcripts from Other Countries

Transcripts that reflect completed coursework from colleges or universities in other countries must, at the student’s expense, be subjected to analysis by a professional evaluation service. The evaluation will be reviewed by the College and a determination will be made as to acceptance of the evaluation from that service before credit is posted. For a list of approved agencies, click here.

Six-Drop Limit (See Texas Education Code (TEC) 51.907 Six-Drop Limit Provisions)

All official transcripts for students affected by the Six-Drop Limit who attended a Texas public college or university for the first time in Fall 2007 and thereafter must be submitted and reviewed prior to the first date grades are awarded and enrolled for the term to guarantee compliance with Senate Bill (SB) 1231.

Affected Students: Students identified during the application process as affected by SB 1231 should submit all transcripts prior to enrollment. (Students enrolling in college for the first time in Fall 2007 or thereafter). If there are students who have not submitted the required official transcripts from Texas public colleges/ universities, a hold will be placed on their records that will not allow them to drop courses after the census date. They will not be allowed to drop until all required transcripts are received and reviewed to determine the six-drop status. As official transcripts are received, the transcript will be reviewed for the sixdrop status. When all required transcripts are received, the hold will be removed.

Non-Affected Students: Students who are not affected by SB 1231 must submit all transcripts needed to document TSI, or to establish appropriate skill levels. Transcripts for these students that are not needed for these purposes may be submitted prior to the end of the first semester of enrollment. A hold will be placed on the student’s record that will not allow registration again until all transcripts are received. However, students who enroll on this basis are prohibited from enrolling this way in a subsequent term, and San Jacinto College will not honor any requests for their official transcripts. When the required transcripts are received, we will remove the hold and registration restrictions.

Academic Fresh Start

Under the provisions of TEC §51.931, an applicant for admission may elect an Academic Fresh Start at the time of admission. An applicant who applies under this section and is admitted as a student may not receive any course credit for courses taken 10 or more years prior to enrollment under this section. Check with the Admissions Office for more detailed information. Veterans and financial aid applicants should contact the financial aid office before selecting Academic Fresh Start.

Transfer Academic Status

A student’s academic status during the most recent term of enrollment at another college or university determines the academic status under which the student is admitted. A student in good standing at the previous school will be admitted in good standing. A student on academic probation will be admitted on academic probation. A student on academic suspension, whose suspension period is over, may be admitted on academic probation.

Re-enrollment After Suspension

Once the term of suspension has elapsed, students may apply for readmission. The academic status of Suspension will prevent registration until mandatory advising has been completed. Students enrolling after their suspension period on academic probation, who achieve an overall institution GPA of 2.0 or greater, will be considered in Good Standing. Students who achieve a term GPA of 2.0 or better, but who do not raise their overall institution GPA of 2.0 or better, will continue on academic probation.

Transfer Students on Probation or Suspension

Students admitted from other institutions on academic Probation or academic Suspension will be treated the same as students from San Jacinto College on Probation or Suspension as described above. Students who fail to report academic status which is less than Good Standing to gain admission may be immediately withdrawn without any refund of tuition and fees paid.

Students are responsible for knowing if their academic status entitles them to admission. If a student is not eligible to enroll but succeeds in enrolling anyway, that student may be withdrawn and have to forfeit all tuition and fees.