The Blue Music Building, located on the northeast part of Central Campus, is a diverse and modern facility with many resources for both the music and audio student. The building features a 200-seat concert hall, 12 teaching studios, 3 rehearsal spaces, piano lab, computer lab, 12 practice rooms, classrooms, and music library. The building is also home to 28 pianos: 5 grands and 23 uprights. The grand pianos are a Steinway model D, 3 Steinway model L’s, and a Young Chang. The uprights are a variety of Steinway, Boston, Yamaha, and Young Chang.
San Jacinto College Recording Studio ATucked away in the Ball Tech Building, Studio A is the flagship of the San Jacinto College Audio Engineering program. Designed by Russ Berger, the studio features a state-of-the-art control room, tracking room and drum room. At the heart of the control room is a 40-channel Solid State Logic SL4000 G+ console with Total Recall and Ultimation. The primary recording medium is a Pro Tools HD|2 system with four 192 I/O’s, providing 40 dedicated inputs and outputs. Students working in the studio have at their disposal a well-equipped microphone cabinet, three racks of outboard gear, as well as a studio drum kit, Steinway piano, and Hammond organ. For more information, as well as a detailed equipment list, please see the Recording Studio A page.
Primarily used for mixing, Studio B features a digidesign Control 24 and a Pro Tools HD|1 system with 8 inputs and outputs. Conveniently located adjacent to the MIDI lab in the Davison Tech Building, the studio is available to students in upper-level audio engineering and MIDI classes.
The computer lab, located in the Monte Blue Music Building features 12 workstations, each with an iMac computer and MIDI synthesizer. The lab serves as a study space for SJCC music students as well. In addition the Music Department offers tutoring services in Fundamentals, Theory, and Ear-Training 6 hours a week. The current hours are:
Mon & Wed 10:30-11:30am, Ms. Emma Simmons
Tue 1:00-2:00pm & Wed 1:30-2:30pm, Mr. Kent Childers
Thu 2:30-3:30 & Fri 10:30-11:30, Mr. Erwin Vreugdenhil
Computer Lab Hours 7:00am-5:00pm Mon-Fri
Corbin Recital Hall is the primary performance venue for the SJCC music department. It is located in the Monte Blue Music Building and seats just over 200. Concerts, recitals, and other events are held here throughout the semester featuring performances by SJCC students and faculty as well as other featured artists. The recital hall is also home to the department’s Steinway model D concert grand piano
The MIDI lab, located in the Davison Tech Building, features 13 digital audio workstations, each with an iMac, Pro Tools LE, MBox 2, and Oxygen controller keyboard. All MIDI classes are held in the lab, which doubles as a classroom.
The Music Library can be found in the Monte Blue Music Building. For access or checking out material, please see the administrative assistant or worker assistants at the front desk of the music building. The library contains, books, scores, CD’s, and vinyl recordings for faculty and student use.
The Monte Blue Music Building features a suite of 12 practice rooms located in the southwest corridor of the facility. Ten of the rooms feature pianos, one an organ, and another for percussion. The practice rooms are open the same hours as the music building itself.
The Piano lab, located in the Music Building, features 15 Yamaha Clavinova digital pianos, Keynote Visualizer, and headsets which allow the instructor to work with each student individually throughout the piano class.
The Small Ensemble Room in the Monte Blue Music Building is used by several of our small instrumental ensembles for rehearsalsHarpsichord such as woodwind ensemble, string quartet, and jazz combo throughout the year. It also features both an organ and harpsichord. The 2002 Harpsichord is a French double in the style of Austrian born Benoist Stehlin (1732-1774), a builder in the golden era of French harpsichord manufacturing. It contains two 8 foot stops, a four foot stop, a buff stop, and 61 notes, transposing. The harpsichord was purchased through the Harpsichord Clearing House in Rehoboth, Massachusetts with funds from the San Jacinto College Discretionary Budget of 2009. It was built in 2002 by Paul Kennedy of Danville, Indiana who has been designing harpsichords since 1959.