Choose from one of the paths below:
Shape the Next Generation
The world needs more teachers, perhaps more than any other profession. Unlike most career paths, teaching is a calling; one that takes a unique personality willing to listen to, learn from and shape the students they will have in their classroom. If you feel an internal pull toward this field, obtaining an Associate of Arts in Teaching (AAT) degree from San Jacinto College is the best way to start.
Our AAT degree is fully transferable to all Texas public universities and lays the initial foundation needed for a Texas teacher certification. Students will be exposed to the full spectrum of primary education and can specialize in teaching elementary, middle or high school grade-level subjects. Students who complete the AAT will be required to meet any and all entrance requirements of the transferring university and the educator preparation program, including grade point averages and/ or testing requirements.
- 7-12 History AAT – This degree pathway is for students who want to teach history in grade levels 7-12.
- 7-12 Life Science AAT- This degree pathway is for students who want to teach biology or other life science courses in grade levels 7-12.
- 7-12 ELA AAT- This degree pathway is for students who want to teach English Language Arts in grade levels 7-12.
- EC-6 AAT– This degree pathway is for students who want to teach early childhood through 6th grade. Students will gain knowledge across multiple disciplines so that those certified under EC-6 will have the skills to teach reading, writing, math, science and history.
- Early childhood (preschool) teachers $33,344*
- Elementary school teachers $57,266*
- Middle school teachers $56,832*
- High school (secondary) teachers $57,332*
*Source: www.texaswages.com, 2015 annual median salaries for Gulf Coast region