Student Success Center - South Campus
Struggling with classes but have no money for a tutor? Need a quiet place to study? Have no fear, Student Success Center is here!!! The Student Success Center is a free tutoring program created by San Jacinto College to promote student’s success in the classroom and help improve many important study habits. We strongly believe that no student should be left behind and we want you to know that we offer free tutoring services along with access to many resources. Our goal is to help you succeed; we are here in your time of need.
Student Success Center
Diana Shokralla – Learning Lab Supervisor
Monica Munante – Administrative Assistant
281-998-6150 ext. 3757, 3868 & 3408
Room 5201 second floor in the library
What does SSC stand for?
• SSC is the abreviation Student Success Center
What can SSC do for me?
• SSC is a center that conducts different types of tutoring for various subjects such as Math, English, Sciences and many more for FREE!
• SSC provides many resources for any student who comes into the center which include the following:
o Calculators are available to be checked out; however, the calculators must only be used within the center and the student must provide a driver's license.The calculators must be returned before the student checks out or leaves and then the student will then be handed back their driver’s license. The center holds TI-83’s and TI-30’s.
o The center also provides different textbooks and solution manuals for the subjects that are being tutored. These resources may not leave the center. o Along with textbooks and calculators, SSC has both a A&P I and BIO 1402 lab practical book that helps students prepare and study for lab exams.
o The Student Success Center also has brand new computers students may use for academic purposes. Please note students are not allowed on social websites such as Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc.
o SSC is not only a place to get free tutoring and use free resources but is also a place where students may study in a quiet environment.
o SSC conducts Conversation Hour, which helps English second language students practice English by doing many different activities.
Do I need anything to use the SSC and resources? Will it cost anything?
• In order to make use of the SSC and any of it’s resources, you will need your student identification number or student i.d. The SSC is free for students who attend any San Jacinto campus. Can students borrow the textbooks to make copies?
• No, students are not allowed to take textbooks out of the center and because of copyright laws copies of the book can not be made.
What hours will the SSC be open?
• Monday – Thursday the center is open from 8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
• Friday the center is open from 8 a.m. - 3 p.m.
• Saturday the center is open from 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
• Please note the center is open during these times, but the hours the tutors work vary depending on each semester. Please stop by the Student Success Center to pick up a flyer with the current semester tutor work hours, so that you may see what subjects are being offered and the times that a specific tutor is here.
How may I contact the SSC Center?
• The SSC may be contacted by dialing ext. 3868 from any line on campus or by calling the main line at 281-922-3444 and then dialing the ext. 3868
May I have someone visit my class to tell my classmates/students about the SSC?
• Yes, if you would like someone to visit a class to speak to students about the SSC and its resources, please contact Diana Shokralla at ext. 3757 or just email firstname.lastname@example.org and she will set this up for you.