I am no longer in classes but still being billed. Why am I being billed?

You may have only been eligible for a partial refund depending on how long you waited to drop the class/classes. Also, the refund is only available on the tuition, not on the general service fee of $135.00 that is imposed to each account every semester.
If a student is enrolled into a payment plan, this is a contractual agreement between the student and San Jacinto College. The sudent is responsible for any percentage that is non-refundable after a dropped course. For example, if a student on a payment plan drops their courses at a 75% refund; that student is responsible for the remaining 25% balance left remaining on the payment plan.
Please note that the percent a student is refunded depends upon when the class was dropped.
Students can check the refund schedule at http://www.sanjac.edu/important-dates

Contact: 
(281)-998-6150
Department: 
Business Office
Type: 
Making a Payment