Under the college's funeral leave policy, an employee may be off work with pay to attend the funeral of certain relatives. Up to a maximum of three days of funeral leave may be allowed, depending on the circumstances involved; i.e., out of town, state or involvement of the employee. If the employee is off work more than three days and the administration determines the circumstances warrant more time, sick leave hours may be charged as necessary. Relatives as defined by Board of Trustees Policy IV-E-6: Policy on Funeral Leave are as follows:
Relatives of the employee:
- Spouse (husband, wife)
- Children (son, daughter, step-son, step-daughter)
- Children's spouse (son-in-law, daughter-in-law)
- Parent's (mother, father, step-mother, step-father)
- Parents' siblings (aunts, uncles)
- Siblings (brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister)
- Sibling's spouse (brother-in-law, sister-in-law)
Relatives of the employee's spouse:
- Parents (employee's mother-in-law or father-in-law)
- Siblings (employee's brother-in-law or sister-in-law)
- Grandparents (spouse's grandmother or grandfather)
It is the responsibility of the immediate supervisor of the employee requesting the leave to recommend how much time is to be granted for funeral leave. This recommendation will be forwarded to the President of the campus for final approval.
An employee may request to attend the funeral of relatives or other individuals not included in this policy, but with the understanding that personal business leave, vacation or earned comp time be used to cover the absence from work.
(Re: Policy IV-E-6; Board of Trustees Policy Manual)