Institutional Review Board
Thank you for your interest in conducting research with San Jacinto College. The San Jacinto College Institutional Review Board (IRB) is an informal IRB co-chaired by Mr. George F. González, Jr., M.S., Director of Institutional Research & Effectiveness, and Mr. Michael Lee Moore, M.B.A., Director of Grants Management. The San Jacinto College IRB meets every other month on or about the 15th of month in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December. All applications to be reviewed must be submitted no later than the 1st day of the month in which an IRB meeting is held. Applications received after the 1st day of the month in which an IRB meeting will be held will be reviewed at the IRB meeting scheduled two months later.
In order to submit an IRB application, please download the SJCD IRB request document (link can be found below). Please fill out the document in its entirety providing as much specific detail as possible about your research. Then, print it, sign it, and scan it in as a PDF file. Additional documents will also need to be submitted as well. The list of documents are as follows:
- SJCD IRB application (signed and scanned in as a PDF)
- IRB approval (if obtained) from your institution of higher learning if your research is for a Master’s or Doctoral degree
- A signed formal letter on institutional letterhead from your dissertation/Master’s thesis chair indicating the purpose of your research and his/her approval of your research
- All relevant informed consent forms if your research will involve contact with San Jacinto College students and/or employees
- Abstract and/or beginning chapters of your dissertation/Master’s thesis
Once all documents are collected, please email them to both George González, firstname.lastname@example.org, and Michael Lee Moore, email@example.com. We may also be contacted if you have any questions about the IRB process.
Once the IRB meets, one of three outcomes occur.
- Your application is recommended for approval. If so, it is submitted to Dr. Brenda Hellyer, Chancellor, who makes the final decision on approvals.
- Your application is tabled, and you are contacted for additional information to be submitted. If so, your application will be reviewed at the next scheduled IRB meeting.
- Your application is not recommended for approval.
It is anticipated that if your application is recommended for approval, you will receive formal notice of approval by the end of the month in which the IRB meeting is scheduled.