The ESOL program is designed for international, resident and non-resident students who want to improve their English. Students can complete the program in one academic year (nine months) and are prepared for college and/ or university admission exams, such as the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The curriculum covers language skills in oral communication, grammar, and reading and writing for the workplace, college career, or university studies. Courses are taught by master teachers with lecture, group projects, and computer assignments. A Certificate of Completion is awarded upon ESOL program completion.
Develops listening and speaking skills in English and prepares students’ abilities in educational, vocational and social Englishspeaking contexts. Students perfect pronunciation and increase listening comprehension as well as learn to give precise directions, to narrate, and explain events or concepts.
Develops grammar for academic and workplace purposes. Students learn to write English correctly to communicate via email, letters, and other documents. Appropriate use of word choice, word form, and word order are a focus of the course.
Reading and Writing
Develops reading proficiency, vocabulary, and professional writing abilities for a multicultural and multilingual society. Students increase English comprehension through reading novels, short stories, textbook passages, and professional publications. A focus of the course is writing academic essays in a narrative, comparison, opinion, or cause-effect mode.
For more information about detailed course descriptions go to www.sanjac.edu/apply-register/types-admissions/international-students/learn-english/esol-course-descriptions
Residents with High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
1. Complete an admission application online at: www. sanjac.edu/first-steps or in person at the Welcome Center. No application fee. No cost.
2. On campus, see a counselor in the Welcome Center to take the placement exam, COMPASS-ESL. No cost for the exam.
3. Register for classes with the counselor. Your exam results will determine your level and which classes. Students receive college credit hours.
Residents or Non-residents without High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
1. Complete an application in the Continuing and Professional Development (CPD) office. No application fee. No cost.
2. In the CPD office, request to take the placement exam, COMPASS-ESL. No cost for the exam.
3. Register for classes in the CPD office. Your exam results will determine your level and which classes you will attend. Students receive Continuing Education credit hours, which are college non-credit hours.
1. Complete an admission application online at: www.sanjac.edu/first-steps or in person at the Welcome Center. No application fee. No cost.
2. Contact the international counselor.
For more information, go to www.sanjac.edu/international-students
San Jacinto College Bloque 1
San Jacinto College Bloque 2
San Jacinto College Bloque 3