Meningitis Shot Keeping You From Registering For Classes?
You are in Luck!
San Jacinto College has partnered with VaxANation to provide the bacterial meningitis vaccination without requiring you to pay anything when you get the shot. You can simply add the cost to your registration charges. This will allow you to register for classes and pay for the shot with your financial aid, Installment Payment Plan or other payment method.
- FREE for students who qualify for Vaccinations for Children (VFC) programs
- $20 for students 18 and under, and $90 to students 19 and older
Visit www.sanjac.edu/meningitis-shots to sign up for a vaccination.
Full List of Scheduled Meningitis Vaccinations
Shots will be offered at the following locations:
Central Campus - C-1.110 | North Campus - N-6.108 | South Campus - S-6.152
Tues., May 8
Tues., May 22
|Tues., June 12||2-4 pm|
|Tues., June 26||4-6 pm|
|Tues., July 10||2-4 pm|
|Tues., July 24||4-6 pm|
|Tues., Aug. 14||2-4 pm|
|Thurs., Aug, 16||4-6 pm|
|Tues., Aug. 21||2-4 pm|
|Thurs., Aug, 23||4-6 pm (North Only)|
|Tues., Aug. 28||2-4 pm (Central Only)|
|Thurs., Aug, 30||4-6 pm (South Only)|
|Tues., Sept. 11||4-6 pm|
College students under 22 years old must receive a meningitis vaccination
Requirement: The Texas Legislature requires that all incoming Texas college students must receive a vaccination or booster against bacterial meningitis.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must provide evidence that you are in compliance with the meningitis requirement before you will be permitted to register for classes.
What to do:
Obtain the vaccination from a private physician's office, clinic, or pharmacy, or through a public clinic.
Bring your immunization record to the Admissions or Educational Planning, Counseling, and Completion Office on any San Jac campus, email it to the Meningitis Docs, Meningitis.Docs@sjcd.edu, or fax it to 281-669-4720.
For your convenience you may download the Vaccination Verification Form to provide to your physician.
Who: The meningitis vaccine is required for the following individuals under 22 years of age:
- All new students to San Jacinto College including dual credit
- All returning San Jacinto College students who have had a break in enrollment for one or more Fall or Spring semesters
- All incoming Transfer students
- All Continuing and Professional Development (CPD) students taking "linked" courses. A linked CPD course is any course held in conjunction with an academic/credit course.
What: The student or parent or guardian of the student must provide evidence showing the student has received the bacterial meningitis vaccination or booster during the five-year period prior to enrollment, and not less than 10 days before the first day of classes. Students should get the MenACWY or MPSV4 vaccination to meet the state requirements. The MenB vaccination does not meet state requirements.
Evidence/Documentation: Acceptable evidence of vaccination or receiving a booster dose includes:
- The signature or stamp of a physician or his/her designee, or public health personnel on a form that shows the month, day, and year the vaccination dose or booster was administered
- An official immunization record generated from a state or local health authority
- An official record received from school officials, including a record from another state
Exceptions: Listed below are San Jacinto College students who are NOT REQUIRED to submit evidence of receiving the vaccination against bacterial meningitis or evidence of receiving a booster dose:
- Students who are 22 years of age or older
- Students who enrolled during the Fall 2011 term or earlier and who have maintained continual Fall and Spring term enrollment as long as they remain San Jac students (note: the exception does not apply once a San Jac student transfers to another college)
- Students who are enrolled only in Continuing and Professional Development courses or corporate training programs that are less than 360 contact hours that are not linked to Credit classes. Please contact CPD office for additional information.
Temporary Waivers: Listed below are San Jacinto College students who are not required to receive meningitis vaccinations, but are REQUIRED TO submit documentation for waiver (Meningitis Compliance Form).
- Students enrolled only in distance learning classes that are 100 percent online. NOTE: to obtain a temporary waiver form, click on the Meningitis Compliance Form on the College's Meningitis Website. Waiver must be submitted every semester.
- Students who present affidavits signed by licensed physicians stating that the vaccination would be injurious to the health of the students;
- Students who present conscientious exemption forms stating the students decline the vaccination for reasons of conscience, including religious belief. Download the Conscientious Exemption Form.
Please continue to visit our website for updated information regarding submission of required documentation: www.sanjac.edu/apply-register/overview/meningitis