Student Rights and Responsibilities
San Jacinto College holds that the student, upon enrollment, neither loses the right nor escapes the duties of citizenship. The student-citizen must exercise liberty with responsibility.
Students have the right to be apprised of the methodology by which they will be evaluated in their formal course work. Also, students shall have appeal rights to challenge improper academic evaluation.
Intellectual Property Rights
Students shall retain their intellectual property rights on projects produced as a result of their individual initiative with incidental use of College facilities and resources. If the student is working on a project initiated and funded by San Jacinto College, ownership resides with the College.
Freedom of Association
Students bring to the College a variety of interests. Students have the freedom to organize and join associations to promote their common interests in accordance with the policies and procedures of the College.
Freedom of Inquiry and Expression
Students and student organizations will be free to examine and discuss all questions of interest to them and to express opinions publicly and privately. They will be free to support causes by orderly means which do not disrupt the regular and normal operation of the institution, and which comply with the regulations that relate to student conduct. At the same time, it should be made clear to the educational community and public that in their public expressions or demonstrations, students or student organizations do not represent the institution and speak only for themselves.
Freedom from Illegal Discrimination
It is the policy of the San Jacinto Community College District not to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, citizenship status, age, disability, pregnancy, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, genetic information, marital status, or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws. The following official has been designated to respond to inquiries regarding the College’s non-discrimination policies: Vice Presiden of Human Resources, 4620 Fiarmont Pkwy., Pasadena, Texas 77504, email@example.com, 281-991-2648.
Freedom from Sexual Assault, Dating Violence, Domestic Violence, and Stalking
It is the policy of the College to provide training, procedures, and resources to prevent the occurrence of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking and to provide an equitable complaint process that provides for prompt investigation of complaints and the imposition of sanctions against students who are found in violation of this code.
In all aspects of student life, the student body collectively and individually has the responsibility of participation as citizens of the academic community in a mature fashion. Students must not confuse liberty with license. In voluntarily enrolling at the College, students have the responsibility to comply with all state and college regulations governing student conduct and academic affairs. Students assume responsibility for their behavior and acknowledge and share the following responsibilities:
Students must recognize that the Board of Trustees is the policy making authority for the operation of the San Jacinto Community College District. The Board delegates to the College administration the authority to implement Board policy through procedures, regulations, guidelines, and handbooks.
- Students must understand that while education is a shared activity, the ultimate responsibility for learning rests with the students’ motivation and abilities.
- Students are responsible, collectively and individually, for allowing other students to continue their pursuit of education. Students must refrain from interfering with the rights of other students in their educational pursuits or with employees in the exercise of their duties.
- The right to disagree is well established. However, students must make sure that disagreement is factual and is presented with respect for those with whom they are disagreeing, including faculty, staff, administration, and students. When approaching the administration about any matter, students must go through established channels of communication and authority.
- Students must comply with the policies, rules, regulations, and generally accepted practices of the College until these practices may be changed by orderly procedure.
- Students also have the responsibility to comply with all state and federal regulations governing their participation in higher education. Such regulations and laws as may exist or that may be subsequently enacted and adopted shall have precedence over the provisions of this document of student rights.
Involvement in Decision Making
San Jacinto College provides an opportunity for student involvement in the decision making process through the respective forms of student government on the three campuses. As constituents of the educational community, students may express their views on issues of institutional policy and on matters of general interest to the student body.
In addition to membership in student associations and organizations, students shall be given the opportunity to serve on campus and College committees as deemed appropriate by the College.
Retained Rights and Responsibilities
The enumeration of the above rights and responsibilities shall in no way be interpreted as being all-inclusive and denying the existence of other rights and responsibilities which a student holds as a student or citizen.