Blackboard and the Library
The library has its own tab, embedded into every student's page!
Embed a Librarian
About this program: Did you know you can insert contact information for your campus librarian into your course's blackboard page? This allows students to get in touch with a librarian who is particularly familiar with your assignments and expectations.
Simply contact the librarian of your choice to make arrangements for the Embed a Librarian Program
Copyright Questions? Who To Contact
- Questions regarding library resources and how to link to library databases should be directed to your Campus Librarians.
- Questions regarding review of your course content for copyright violations and copyright licensing agreements owned by San Jacinto College should be directed to EDTech.
- All other questions can be directed to either your Campus Librarians-OR-EDTech.
Permalinks: Linking to Library Resources
Permalinks can be used in blackboard to link to library resources. The tutorials below can guide you in the proper posting of these links. Please follow the models below to ensure off campus access for your students.
- Library Catalog
- Ebsco Databases (the majority of our Database are provided by Ebsco)
- Elibrary: a Proquest Database
- Gale Database
Instructional Copyright: Helpful Links
- Campus Guide to Copyright Compliance:This site provides information on Fair Use, DMCA, TEACH Act, using content in a variety of educational materials, Copyright Compliance and more.
- Copyright For Educators:Provides downloads and informational videos for educators. Brought to you by PBS.
- Know Your Copy Rights:Using Copyrighted Materials in an Academic Setting.
- US Copyright Law
- Video and Copyright:An ALA Factsheet providing resources and publications for Educators.
San Jacinto College Copyright Procedures
What we do
Your library has the ability to create library research guides customized to your course. These guides contain useful information for your students which includes book, database and online resource suggestions, search techniques, information on plagiarism, citation information and much more.
Who to contact
Interested in having a course guide made up for your course? Speak with the librarian assigned to course's instruction session or contact the reference department at your campus library.
All faculty members have the ability to put textbooks, videos and other course support materials on reserve at the library. This is an especially advantageous service for students with limited funds.
Who to Contact
North Campus | Richard Cuellar | (281) 459-7116 | Richard.Cuellar@sjcd.edu
Central Campus | Carolyn Riddle | (281) 476-1850 | Carolyn.Riddle@sjcd.edu
South Campus | Patricia Pollard | (281) 998-6150 x3302 | Patricia.Pollard@sjcd.edu
What we do
Your campus librarians are available for library instruction tailored to your course throughout the year.
Our library instruction sessions range from a first time tour of the library to in-depth research tutorials.
Who to Contact
Central Campus | John Brower | (281) 476-1850 | John.Brower@sjcd.edu
South Campus | Larry Gainor | (281) 998-6150 x3306 | Larry.Gainor@sjcd.edu
When to Schedule your Instruction Session
Instruction sessions are always more effective when in context to a particular assignment or course activity. A good rule of thumb is to schedule your class 2 to 4 weeks before your assignment is due.
Be sure to hand out your assignment to your students before your instruction session.
What to do before your session
Schedule your class: Always be sure to set up an instruction session with the campus contact listed above before you bring your class to the library. Space is limited; we suggest you make arrangements with us before the semester begins or during its first week.
Give us your Syllabus or Assignment: This information will help us tailor our instruction to your class.
Contact your Instructor: Please feel free to contact your course's library instructor before your class's session with any questions, concerns or special requests. We are here to support you!