You are here

Accessibility Services

female student at a computer with headset on

Break Through The Barriers to Learning

Some students may need extra assistance to proceed in their college coursework. We’re here to make sure they have everything they need to succeed. We help students facing all types of challenges, such as learning disabilities, visual and hearing impairment, communication disorders, mobility issues, behavioral disorders, head injuries, chronic illness, HD and ADD.

Our disability assistance counselors meet with students to determine what special accommodations should be made, such as extended time for tests, tutoring, interpreting services, note taking, and specialized technologies. If you need more information or would like to make an appointment, contact the disability assistance office on the campus that’s most convenient for you.

If you would like to apply for accommodations, please use the application below. Fill it out and turn in to the campus you plan to attend.

Disability Services Accommodation Application

Accessibility Services FAQs

To apply for accommodations, complete the Disability Services Application and obtain documentation of your disability.  Return the application and documentation to the Disability Services Counselor on your designated campus. You will receive contact from the Disability Services Office within 7-10 days after the application and documentation has been submitted.

Colleges are not required to conduct or provide testing or evaluations to determine if a student has a disability. The student is responsible for providing current documentation, and any additional testing to support the requested accommodations, if necessary. However, Disability Services may be able to provide referral information for local evaluators.

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. Students are responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. The Disability Services Offices recognize that parents can provide additional information and serve as a source of support.  We encourage students to maintain an open dialogue with parents as they go through this process.

Yes, your information is confidential and cannot be released to anyone without your permission. Please refer to the San Jacinto College Student Handbook for further information.

Students can apply for accommodations at any point in the semester, but we strongly encourage students to apply for accommodations a few weeks prior to the start of the semester.

An IEP or 504 Plan provides evidence of the need for academic accommodations and can be included as a supplement to a comprehensive assessment of tests. Additional documentation will need to be provided to support the IEP or 504 plans. 

If you are not sure if you qualify for disability services, you should contact the Disability Services Counselor at your designated campus. At that time, your needs will be discussed and, if documentation is needed, diagnostic resources and services will be explored with the Disability Services Counselor.

In college, students with disabilities are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and under the Americans with Disabilities Act.  In high school, students are covered under IDEA.  Since this is the case, the legal obligations change. There is no special education in college. Under IDEA, it is the responsibility of the schools to provide services and seek out students with disabilities. Colleges do not have to seek out students with disabilities. It is the student's responsibility to seek out services through Disability Services.

Disability Services provides accommodations and services in the academic setting. Services related to personal care are the responsibility of the student, which includes ownership of equipment such as a wheelchair.

If the student does not agree with the decision of the Disability Services Counselor due to either (a) being denied services or (b) disagreement on the approved accommodations, the student may initiate a formal appeal. Information on the appeal process can be obtained by contact

No, you do not have to apply for accommodations to bring a service animal on campus. It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide Disability Services with a courtesy notice that you do have a service animal.  You may also benefit from other accommodations and/or services that Disability Services can provide. All service animals must be certified.