In agreement with the “Global Consent” 1098-T forms will only be accessible online, to receive your form by mail please provide a written request to email@example.com providing your name and student ID. (Please do not provide your social security number.)
At tax preparation, students may be advised to provide a record of tuition payments. Students may obtain copies of their tuition payments on the College’s website under the “My Student Records, My registration, Print Options – Schedule Bill” feature through S.O.S https://www.sanjac.edu/soslogin
Tax Reporting Method Change
In previous years, your 1098-T included amount billed in Box 2 Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses Billed based on the year you registered. Due to a change to institutional reporting under federal law, beginning tax year 2018, we were instructed to report in Box 1 Payments Received for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses based on the year you paid.
Hope Scholarship Tax & Lifetime Learning Credit Information
What is the IRS Form 1098-T (Tuitions Payment Summary)?
A college or university that received qualified tuition and related expenses on your behalf is required to file Form 1098-T with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 states that educational institutions are required to file and furnish a Form 1098-T to students whom payments for qualified billed tuition and related expenses were received. The information being reported to the IRS verifies your enrollment with regard to certain eligibility criteria for the Hope Tax Credit, the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit and the Higher Education Tuition and Fees Deduction. However, the enrollment information by itself does not establish eligibility for either credit or deduction.
Note: Continuing Education tuition and fees are not eligible to report to the IRS on the 1098-T form.
How will I receive my 1098-T form?
- Tax statements will only be accessible online through your S.O.S login http://www.sanjac.edu/soslogin under the “My Information” tab select the 1098-T Form and enter the year.
- All tax statements will be available on or before January 31st.
- To receive a mailed copy of your 1098-T e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your student ID and name. (Please do not include your SSN)
- Please confirm your address by logging into your S.O.S account under the “My Information” tab to assure that we have the updated address on file for reporting purposes.
- SJC will be mailing out W-9S forms to all students that do not have a social security number on file, if you received a notice please fill out the form and return it to the Admissions Office.
What do the amounts located on the form represent?
SJC will report in box 1 in tax year 2018, as for tax year 2017 SJC will resume reporting in box 2.
- Box 1 Payments received by San Jacinto College during the tax year from any source for qualified tuition and related expenses less any reimbursements or refunds made during the year of payment being received.
- Box 2 Reported in 2017 and prior years - Total amount billed for qualified tuition and related expenses. As of 2018 tax year San Jacinto College reported as Box 1 payments received for qualified tuition and fees.
- Box 3 is checked because San Jacinto College changed its reporting method.
- Box 4 represents any adjustments made for a prior year Form 1098-T. This may reduce any allowable education credit that you claimed for the prior year.
- Box 5 represents the total of all scholarships or grants administered and processed by the eligible educational institution. The amount of scholarships or grants for the calendar year reduce the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or the education credit you may claim for the year.
- Box 6 represents adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year. This may affect the amount of any allowable tuition and fees deduction or education credit claimed for the prior year.
- Box 8 is checked if you have been a student for 6 credit hours (half time) or more for one academic period that began during the calendar year.
How does SJC file?
- San Jacinto College currently reports in box 1, payments received for qualified tuition and related expenses, SJC reports all registration that occurred between January 1, 20XX - December 31, 20XX.
- You may be required to submit receipts as proof of payment if so, you may submit your Schedule Bill.
Although, San Jacinto College provides the information that appears on your 1098-T form, our staff is not qualified to answer any tax-related questions or give tax advice. You are encouraged to contact your individual tax preparer or the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Please consult with your tax adviser, or contact the IRS at:
• IRS Help with Tax Questions Telephone: 1-800-829-1040
• Local IRS Contacts:: IRS Link or select one of the following links: