Truck driving is an important industry to the American economy. The business of hauling raw material and finished goods is vital for the smooth flow of an industrialized society. Safety awareness is now a high priority in the industry and should continue to protect the welfare and safety of truckers on the road. The industry is a vital component of the supply chain and is projected to grow 21 percent by 2020.
Courses offered in this area:
Before you can apply for testing, you need to have in your possession your DOT Medical Card from a certified National Registry Medical Examiner. See link: https://nationalregistry.fmcsa.dot.gov/NRPublicUI/home.seam
It is recommended that students obtain a Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) before the (1st) day of class. However, students will have until the (8th) day of class to obtain CLP*. If student does not obtain the CLP by the 8th day of class student will be dropped from the course. The cost of the CLP is $25.00. You may pick–up a Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Driver Handbook (free of charge) to prepare yourself.
-PLEASE NOTE: If you fail any exam three times, a new application fee (25.00) is required and you must retake all required exams
You will need to take Sections 14, 2, 6, and 5 in this exact order, for the Commercial Learners Permit (CLP). This ensures that you are qualified for the steps required by your Truck Driving instructor.
- PLEASE NOTE: You will need your original or certified copy of your birth certificate.
You are required to pass ALL 4 written tests prior to the issuance of the permit and they MUST be completed in this exact order:
Test 1 Section 14: Special Requirements for Texas Commercial Motor Vehicles
Test 2 Section 2: General Knowledge (Driving Safely) Recommended to browse entire handbook but questions are mainly chosen from Section 1, 2, 3, 12, and 13.
Test 3 Section 6: Combination Vehicles
Test 4 Section 5: Air Brakes
* It is highly recommended that the students in the Day class take all four (4) Commercial Drivers License written tests at least one (1) week before class starts. You cannot apply for a road test until 14 days after you have had your CLP. You need to go to DPS Office and pay a prorated fee for your CDL License BEFORE your road test or you will not be allowed to test. San Jacinto College will schedule the test for you, but only after you have your CLP. Test Dates are over a month ahead after request, so if you want be able to test before graduation, you need to follow these steps.
You must have a DOT drug test (only the drug test must be taken 7 days or less before the 1st day of
class) and DOT physical.
Both tests MUST be taken at this clinic:
DEER PARK FAMILY CLINIC
2910 Center Street
Deer Park, Texas 77536
Monday & Thursday - 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday - 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (Clinic stops accepting walk-ins at 4 pm)
Saturday - 9 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Applicants to the San Jacinto College Central Commercial Truck Driving program must:
1. Be at least 18 years of age and pass a mandatory DOT drug test and DOT Physical.
2. Be in reasonably good physical condition and have no serious physical handicaps. Must not be under doctor’s care with work limitations hindering his/her ability to do assigned class and skills work. (For guidelines, please read the Federal Motor CarrierSafety Regulations & Noise Emission Requirements, Chapter III – Federal Highway Administration, Department of Transportation – Subpart E - Physical Qualifications and Examinations – 391.41).
3. Applicants who were born outside the U. S. or who graduated from high school outside the U.S. must be able to provide adequate proof of competency in English or pass the English Proficiency Test administered by the Testing Center at the college. For appointments with the Testing Center call 281-998-6150 ext: 2025
4. Must possess a valid Texas Drivers License.
5. Must possess a valid Social Security number.
6. May need original or certified copy of birth certificate.
7. Must be legally able to travel throughout the state of Texas.
If you have any questions about these requirements, recommendations, or need additional information about the Commercial Truck Driving program please call the department Director, Tony Rich at 281-478-3687 or the Sr. Administrative Assistant, Christina Bitzios, Christina.Bitzios@sjcd.edu at (281) 478-3698 (Press #1) or talk to any CDL Instructor at (281) 476-1886.