You can start a new career in 30 days with three basic mariner classes. Apply today to receive 100% free tuition with the Maritime Capital IDEA-Port Houston Grant, and work with amazing career coaches who will set you on the course for success.
- Basic training – 1st Aid/CPR / Basic Firefighting / Personal Survival Techniques / Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities
- Vessel Personal Designated Security Duties
All classes offered at San Jacinto College Maritime Campus:
3700 Old Highway 146
La Porte, Texas 77571
- Resident in Greater Houston area
- 18 years or older (no age limit)
- U.S. Citizen
- High school diploma or GED
- At or below 200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Access to transportation
- Minimum qualifications to obtain a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) TWIC card
- A commitment to finish the entire program, seek employment within your training field and give back to the community after graduating.
|FAMILY SIZE||MONTHLY SALARY||ANNUAL SALARY|
Federal Poverty Guidelines (200%). Updated: 1/27/2021.
Family units of more than 8 members add $8,960 for each additional person. Family size refers to all adults and children living in the household who are related to the applicant by blood or marriage.
As the maritime industry continues to grow and expand our region’s maritime companies are always seeking new hires to grow into their company. There are opportunities to work inland, near coastal and off shore. Vessels include tug boats (tow boats) work boats, offshore supply vessels and chemical carriers and container vessels.
After completing the three courses, newly hired mariners will be classified as entry-level, but in a training position with a seasoned mariner learning the vessel and company policy and procedures.
Most mariners will start in an entry-level position where they will gain increasing levels of responsibility.
Grant made available by Port Houston and Capital IDEA Houston.