A lockdown may be initiated during incidents such as the presence of a hostile person or armed intruders inside a building. A lockdown requires locking doors, windows, and barricading oneself to block entry to a campus facility, classroom or to an office suite.
If you receive an SJCAlert instructing you to lockdown:
- Remain calm. Encourage others to remain calm.
- Immediately cease all activity (i.e. teaching, group work, meetings, etc...)
- Lock or barricade all doors where possible. Card access doors will be locked during a lockdown but can be opened from the inside.
- If possible, cover any windows or openings that have a direct line of sight into a hallway.
- Shut the blinds or pull the shades down. Turn off the lights and try to give the impression that the room is empty.
- Stay low, away from windows and doors and barricade door(s) if possible; use furniture or desks as cover.
- Sit on the floor or crouch under or behind desks and bookshelves where possible, so as to be as invisible as possible.
- Immediately put all cell phones into "Vibrate" or "Silent" mode. Calls to Campus Police should be made only if specific information becomes available regarding the location or conduct of the intruder or if the status of the emergency changes.
- Be as quiet as possible.
- Do not respond to anyone at the door until an "all clear" message is received or if you are certain it is safe to do so (i.e. if police are at the door).
- If you are directed by police to leave your secured area, assist others in moving as quietly and quickly as possible.
- Do not sound the fire alarm in the building unless there is a fire. People may be placed in harm's way when they are attempting to evacuate the building. If a fire alarm does go off during a lockdown, do not evacuate unless you smell smoke or see fire in your area.
- If you are outside of a building when a lockdown is announced, if it is safe to do so, run into the nearest building and follow the above lockdown instructions. If it is not safe to run into a building, hide behind a large heavy object (i.e. vehicle, tree). Notify Campus Police of your location when safe to do so.
- Be aware of alternate exits if it becomes necessary to flee.
- Individuals should not attempt to leave the building until told to do so by police personnel or an all-clear message is received.