San Jacinto College must ensure its operations are performed efficiently with minimal disruption through a wide range of emergencies. The Business Continuity of Operations Plan (B-COOP) ensures that the organization is capable of conducting its essential mission and functions under all threats and conditions.
A B-COOP is a document that holds the collection of information, resources, plans and procedures. It lays out and describes what departments and the College will do to continue critical activities and services during an emergency or disaster.
Tips on getting started:
- Gain leadership support. High level support helps build teams needed to prepare and activate the plan.
- Designate a B-COOP Liaison. They will be the designated person for completing the department's plan and act as the contact between the department and OEM.
- Attend the B-COOP trainings and workshops. These are designed to help departments complete the continuity plan. Be sure to check the Trainings and Workshops tab below for more information.
- Establish a planning team for the department. It's important to include staff, faculty and any stakeholders in the department to get multiple perspectives on what may affect the department.
- Contact and schedule planning meetings with department personnel to work on the plan together.
- Submit the completed plan to the department head and OEM for review.
- Have the plan approved and signed by the department head.
For assistance with continuity planning, contact the Office of Emergency Management.
The following templates provide a guide for departments and divisions to complete a B-COOP.
Divisional Business Continuity of Operations Plan
This templated form guides divisional level administrators through the planning process for business continuity.
Departmental Business Continuity of Operations Plan
This templated form guides functional departments through identifying, mitigating and planning for recovery through events that may disrupt college operations.
Instructional Program Business Continuity of Operations Plan
This templated form guides instructional programs and departments through the process of identifying essential functions and needs to recover from events that may disrupt college operations.
Business Continuity of Operations Plan Worksheets
This file contains copies of the worksheets found in the Divisional and Departmental B-COOPs, including copies of the External and Internal Dependencies Form and the Emergency Position Relocation Form can be found here. Completed copies should be attached to the final B-COOP.
- Trainings and Workshops
B-COOP trainings and workshops are available! These trainings and workshops are designed to provide basic understanding of business continuity and to help departments complete their plans. Registration is through Cornerstone.
- This seminar will provide an introduction to business continuity. It will cover why business continuity planning is important, what is included in a B-COOP, and what the process is for business continuity planning.
- This workshop is an additional training that will walk through the B-COOP template and cover each section of it. It will provide guidance on the worksheets and discuss more on risk analysis and plan exercising.
- Note: ESHR 4004 should be taken before this workshop so that there is some familiarity with business continuity elements.
- Additional Information and Handouts
Elements of a B-COOP
Risk and Impact Analysis
- An analysis of all department functions and processes.
- Aids in determining potential impacts of a disruption.
- Prioritizes functional units and critical processes.
Mitigation and Recovery Strategies
- Develop strategies based on the Risk and Impact Analysis.
- Identify actions to prevent and limit impacts before a disruption occurs.
- Identify actions to take in response to a disruption.
Training, Testing, and Exercising
- Train and familiarize department personnel with their roles and responsibilities.
- Test plan elements and provide an opportunity for personnel to become familiar with their roles.
- Enables B-COOP maintenance through early corrective action by identifying possible gaps and shortcomings.
Overview of Sections in the B-COOP Template
- Assign roles and points of contact.
- Determine department objectives.
- Identify the storage of and determine response to loss of critical data/records.
- Determine critical activities, functions, dependencies, and relocation needs.
- Determine the personnel necessary to perform essential functions.
- Identify areas of concern through the Risk and Impact Analysis.
- Identify Mitigation and Recovery Strategies based on the Risk and Impact Analysis.