April 6, 2020
The CDC has recently made a recommendation advising all persons to wear a face mask when out in public or away from their homes. New data show that persons who are asymptomatic (not outwardly displaying symptoms of the disease) are unknowingly exposing others. In light of this new information, those employees who may have close contact with others while on campus will need to have face masks. One will be made available to them as part of a Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) kit, which also includes a few pairs of disposable gloves, safety glasses, and a t-shirt. Kits may be requested using the Resource Request Form.
When should you wear a mask?
Employees working on campus are asked to wear the face mask provided or any other facial covering if you are unable to maintain a 6-foot social distance with other co-workers, students, or visitors. If you are working alone in your office, performing a solo job-related task, or can maintain proper social distancing, a face mask is not required.
How else can you protect yourself at work?
- The single, most important thing you can do at work is to wash your hands frequently for a minimum of 20 seconds, as recommended by the CDC.
- Use hand sanitizer if you are unable to wash your hands right away
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your cough, sneeze, and yawn
- Wipe down surfaces before you start your work tasks and at the end of your shift
- To maintain the 6-foot social distance, consider the following:
- Use telephone calls to communicate instead of physically visiting your co-worker
- Use Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams, or Zoom – each of these have video capabilities and chat features
- Stagger your lunchtimes so as to not gather around the microwave or breakroom
Other items to keep in mind
- The college is currently closed to students and visitors at this time, unless otherwise noted or by appointment. Approval to work on campus must come from your SLT member. You must first request access via the Employee Request for Campus Access form found here: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/854f58fc26bb4b5a81c6e7d0b53315ac.
- You must fill out and submit an Employee Prescreening Questionnaire before each day that you will be working on campus. That form is found here: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/c938577fe8c0493c8791e417b771c719.
- It is important that we monitor any employee, student, or visitor to campus for potential symptoms before allowing them on campus.
- Student Screening forms can be found here: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/6a32caa7e7814d759b7022a5c03810bc
These are extraordinary times we are living – working together and caring for each other’s safety and well-being proves how #sanjacstrong we are!