Private scholarships are those in which the donor specifies the person who will receive the funding. The donor may be someone the student knows, such as the student's employer or their church, or they may be from local, state or national organizations to help pay for the cost of college.
These are the steps a student/organization needs to follow in order for the funds to be received and applied to the student’s account:
- Checks need to be made payable to San Jacinto College.
- Scholarship check must include:
- recipient name
- recipient student ID# and/or SS#
- Awarding specifications, such as:
- the semester(s) the scholarship is for,
- what the scholarship covers (tuition/fees/books),
- whether the remaining funds should apply to future semesters or they can be refunded to student.
- Once scholarship check is received, the Office of Grants Management will apply the scholarship to the student’s account per the donor(s) specifications.
- Donors or recipients of outside scholarships should contact the Scholarship Accountant at the Office of Grants Management at 281-991-2632 or 281-991-2650, or send them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with any additional questions concerning their scholarship funds.
The student/donor needs to send the scholarship check to:
San Jacinto College
Attention: Scholarships Dept.
8060 Spencer Hwy, C15.217
Pasadena, Texas 77505
If the donor mails the check anywhere other than the above office the process could be delayed. Checks for outside scholarships can also be dropped off in person at any campus Business Office.
Most donors will accept a print out of your Schedule Fee/Bill which you can obtain at any campus Business Office or from your SOS account.
Disbursement of scholarship funds
Scholarship funds will be placed on your student account and can be viewed in SOS. Funds will be applied to your tuition and fees first, then any remaining funds after that will be available for book purchases at any of our campus bookstores. If you are allowed to receive any remaining scholarship funds, those funds will be disbursed to chosen method of refund selected through the San Jac Refund Choice Program when funds are released to the students. If funds are not allowed to be released, they will be moved to the next semester or returned to the donor.