You may qualify for Perkins funding!
Perkins grants* expand opportunities for students to explore, choose, and follow career and technical education programs and career pathways to earn valuable credentials. San Jacinto College allocates money annually to help students in special circumstances complete their technical education program.
* Signed into law on July 31, 2018, the Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act (Perkins V) is a bipartisan measure that reauthorized the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 and continued Congress’ commitment in providing nearly $1.3 billion annually for career and technical education programs.
Do I qualify?
These programs were created to target those students that fall into the special circumstances outlined on the application. You may be eligible for Perkins funds if you fall into one or more of the following categories:
- Individuals with disabilities
- Individuals from economically disadvantaged families, including low-income youth and adults. The following guidelines are used to determine whether an individual is economically disadvantaged:
- annual income at or below the federal poverty line
- eligibility for Aid to Families with Dependent Children or other public assistance programs (includes WIC program participants)
- receipt of a Pell Grant or comparable state program of need-based financial assistance
- participation or eligible for JTPA programs included under Title II
- eligible for benefits under the Food Stamp Act of 1977 or the Health and Humans Services (HHS) Poverty Guidelines
- Individuals preparing for nontraditional fields
- Single parents, including single pregnant women
- Out-of-workforce individuals
- Homeless individuals
- Youth who are in, or have aged out of, the foster care system
- Youth with a parent who is a member of the armed forces and is on active duty
- Individuals with other barriers to educational achievement, including individuals with limited English proficiency
See specific program information below for additional requirements.
If eligible, you could have some or all your childcare expenses reimbursed via a Perkins grant at San Jac. Some requirements/guidelines include:
- You must be in a career and technical education major (AAS or certificate).
- Your child must be enrolled in a childcare facility at time to application.
- Reimbursement amounts vary depending on part-time or full-time student status.
- Funds may be used at any daycare facility that will accept our reimbursement. We will work with you and your daycare facility to determine invoicing and payment.
- Child care is only for days and times you are attending classes at San Jac.
- Award is subject to funding availability.
If you are interested in taking advantage of the program, please fill out the online application and submit as soon as possible. You will need to attach a copy of your class schedule with your application.
If eligible, you could have a some or all your internship/clinical transportation and parking expenses reimbursed via the Perkins grant at San Jac. Some requirements/guidelines include:
- You must be in a career and technical education major (AAS or Certificate).
- Reimbursement amounts vary depending on clinical location and associated mileage.
- You will travel to your internship or clinical site throughout the semester. Upon completion, you may be reimbursed for associated mileage and parking expenses.
- Mileage is calculated and reimbursed from the San Jac campus you are enrolled in to your clinical or internship site (roundtrip).
- Award is subject to funding availability.
If you are interested in taking advantage of the program, please fill out the application linked below. You will also need to upload a Google Map from your campus (North, Central, or South) to your clinical/internship site and a copy of your class schedule.
This program was established to ease the financial burden for those students admitted to or enrolled in allied health and nursing programs that have specific admission requirements. If eligible, you may be reimbursed for clinical health requirements via the Perkins grant at San Jac. This includes any immunizations, physical exams, CPR certification, background checks, and drug screenings required by your program.
If you are interested in taking advantage of the program, please fill out the application linked below as soon as possible. You must also upload a copy of your class schedule.
Once we receive your application, we will verify your program enrollment and issue your award (depending on funding availability). For 2020-2021, Perkins funding is currently not available for students admitted to or enrolled in health science programs at Central campus.