Financial Aid for Transfers

Planning to transfer and concerned about paying for college?

The costs associated with a 4-year university can be intimidating. But, just like San Jac, universities have tons of financial resources available to help make your education affordable and attainable. Meet with a San Jac financial aid team member early for assistance with your transfer process. Review the future school’s website for information about financial aid, admissions, other requirements, and transfer plans.


Steps to Transfer

 Get Prepared

Schedule a San Jac financial aid appointment to:

  • Cancel financial aid at San Jac
  • Complete your FAFSA and add your new school code or TASFA (undocumented students) for the correct aid year
  • Complete Exit Counseling, if applicable
  • Discuss Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU) and loan debt if it applies to you

Request a San Jac transcript for your new college or university

 Get Informed

Schedule an appointment with your new college or university’s financial aid office to:

  • Check priority processing deadlines for your FAFSA/ TASFA
  • Ensure all requirements are met
  • Make sure to ask about Texas Grant -- Funding is limited.

Please remember to check under the Dashboard for a snapshot of all your federal loan and grant data.

 Get Aid

Follow-up with your new college or university’s financial aid office


Toward Excellence, Access, and Success Grant Program

The TEXAS Grant assists with college expenses and is available to both FAFSA and TASFA undergraduate students.

Application Priority Deadline: To meet the priority deadline, students need to submit a FAFSA or TASFA by January 15th. 


To be eligible for a TEXAS Grant award, a student must:

  • Be a Texas resident, as classified by the institution
  • Register with Selective Service, or be exempt
  • Have financial need, as determined by the institution
  • Enroll at least 3/4 time
  • Not have earned a baccalaureate degree
  • Have no record of conviction of a felony or crime involving a controlled substance.

To receive Texas Grant, San Jac students must enroll in a bachelor’s program via one of the following ways:

  • Associate Degree Pathway:
    • Enrolled in an institution 12 months after earning an associate degree in Texas; OR
  • Transfer Pathway:  
    • Must be transferring to an institution.
    • Completed at least 24 semester credit hours
    • Maintained a cumulative 2.5 GPA.
    • Received Texas Educational Opportunity Grant in fall 2014 or later; OR
  • Honorable Military Discharge Pathway:
    • Enlisted in the military within 12 months of graduating from a Texas high school in May 1, 2013 or later.
    • If student was Honorably Discharged, then enroll within 12 months of discharge date.  
    • Not have attempted more than 30 semester credit hours.

For more information on eligibility requirements, visit College For All Texans.

Award amounts are not guaranteed. The Texas State Legislature determines funding and award amounts.  

Please note that colleges try to award funds to as many eligible students as possible, but due to limited funds, all eligible students may not receive funding.

Top Transfer Universities