Tuition is Comparatively Low

Making a successful journey through college is a lot easier when you don’t have high costs blocking the way. Fortunately San Jacinto College is tax-supported by the state and surrounding district. This allows us to offer you a great education and charge you only a fraction of the total cost.

Tuition Schedule

Subject to change by the Texas State Legislature and the San Jacinto Community College District Board of Trustees

You may pay online at by credit or debit card, Installment Payment Plan (IPP), or by e-check. You can also apply for financial aid online.

New Semester Credit Hour (SCH)

Tuition Rate Effective Fall 2019

Texas Resident In-District $78
Texas Resident Out-of-District $135
Non-Texas Resident/International $210
Fees $0

Additional Expenses

Students must purchase their own textbooks, workbooks and supplies such as paper, pencils, and computer disks. In addition, some courses require the purchase of special supplies.

Residence status is determined by the rules and regulations of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.

Students are liable for all collection agency and/or attorney fees and all other costs necessary to collect payment for the debt (see

NOTE: Students are encouraged to complete any class changes before the first day of class. All classes dropped during the scheduled class change period will be assessed 30 percent of the tuition in accordance with published Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board guidelines, even if they are replacing the course with another and may appear on the transcript as withdrawn.

Residency Information

In-district StudentAnyone who meets the residency requirement of the state of Texas, which is defined in Section 54.052 of the Education Code, and who physically resides in the geographic boundaries of the district at the time that his or her registration is completed. As authorized by Section 130.0032 of the Education Code, a person who resides outside the district and who owns property subject to ad valorem taxation by the district, or a dependent of the person who owns such property, may pay tuition at the rate applicable to a student who resides in the district.

Out-of-district Student:  An out-of-district student is defined as a person who is a resident of the state of Texas and who physically resides outside the geographic boundaries of the district at the time that his or her registration is completed.

Out-of-state Student:  A person who is less than 18 years of age or is a dependent, as defined in Section 54.052 (a) of the Education Code, and who is living away from his or her family and whose family resides in another state, or whose family has not resided in Texas for the 12 months immediately preceding the date of registration is considered an out-of-state student. Also, a person who is 18 years of age or over who resides out of state or who has not been a resident of the state of Texas for the 12 months immediately preceding the date of registration is an out-of-state-student.

Out-of-country Student:  An out-of-country student is any alien who is not permanent resident of the United States as defined in Immigration and Naturalization Service regulations or who has not been permitted by Congress to adopt the United States as their domicile while they are in this country.

Residency Determines Your Tuition

The law classifies you either as a Texas resident, a non-Texas resident, or an international student. To qualify as a Texas resident we just need proof that you've lived here for at least a year immediately prior to your date of registration.

If you're not a U.S. citizen, we'll need a bit more documentation:

  • If you are a permanent resident of the United States you must furnish your permanent resident (green) card or I-551 passport approval stamp.
  • If you've applied for residency, you must provide the receipt for your application or petition, Form I-130, I-140 or I-485.

If you're eligible to establish domicile in the U.S. you may be eligible for classification as a Texas resident. Here are the categories set by the Immigration and Naturalization Service:

  1. Holders of unexpired visas with A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5, H-1B, H-4 (dependent of H-1B only), I, K-1, K-2, L-1a, L-1b, L-2, O-1, O-3 (dependent of O-1 only), R-1, R-2, V and NATO 6, 7 classifications.
  2. Those classified by the INS as an asylee, parolee, refugee, permanent resident, conditional permanent resident or a temporary resident holding a I-688, I-688A or I-688B Temporary Resident card that has not expired.

Undocumented Immigrants

Undocumented immigrants who meet our admission requirements can enroll, but normally will be subject to the non-Texas resident tuition rate. You may qualify for the Texas resident rate if you meet all four of these qualifications:

  1. You graduated from high school or got your GED in Texas.
  2. You've resided in Texas with a parent or court appointed guardian for at least three years prior to the date you graduated high school or received your GED.
  3. You registered as an entering student not earlier than the fall 2001 term.
  4. You provide an affidavit stating that you will file an application to become a permanent resident as soon as you're eligible.