San Jacinto College has many types of financial aid, from outright gifts that you never have to pay back, to low-interest loans with student-friendly terms, to on-campus employment programs that let you work your way through school, and to scholarships available in the Houston area. If for some reason you aren’t qualified for one form of aid, don’t despair. You have options. And you have us. We’ll help you identify everything that’s available to you.

Do you need help paying for childcare? If so, San Jacinto College works with the Workforce Solutions to provide childcare assistance to students and SJC employees. Please visit your nearest campus Financial Aid Office to complete an application.

Grants are a gift – they don’t have to be paid back. They’re awarded based on need, and several types are available.

Federal Pell Grants use a standard formula set by Congress to determine your level of need. The formula produces an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the amount your family should pay toward the cost of your education. The amount of aid you get is based on your EFC and the number of college hours you’re taking. Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who haven’t already earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. If you qualify, this would be the primary part of your financial aid package. 

In certain situations, you can receive up to 150 percent of your scheduled Pell Grant award for an award year. This is called additional eligibility although you may hear this referred to as year-round Pell. You need to be enrolled at least half-time during the term of additional eligibility to receive a disbursement from the additional award. For example, you enrolled full-time in fall and spring and received your Pell grant both terms. Due to recent changes in federal law, SJC can add an additional award to your aid package in summer. If you enroll at least half-time, you can receive half of the summer award. If you enroll full time, you can receive all of the summer award.  

Pell grant has a lifetime eligibility limit (LEU.) If you have attended full time for at least 12 semesters, you may not be eligible for further Pell funding.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) are given based on the availability of funds and are only awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students who receive Federal Pell Grants. You must be enrolled in at least 6 semester credit hours to receive a disbursement from your award.

Texas Public Education Grants (TPEG) are funded from tuition revenues generated by San Jacinto College and awarded to students who demonstrate financial need. The amount given depends on your residency, the number of hours you’re taking, your student classification, and the availability of funds. TPEG is available for SB 1528 Undocumented, Dual Credit, International, and Continuing Education Students.

To be considered for SB 1528 Undocumented funds: you must graduate from a Texas public or private high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma or GED in Texas, you must have resided in Texas for at least three consecutive years prior to earning your high school diploma or equivalent, and you must provide to Admissions an affidavit that you will file to become a permanent resident at the earliest opportunity you are eligible to do so. You must complete the TASFA and submit income documents along with your TPEG undocumented application at one of our Financial Aid Offices.

If you're in high school and enroll in dual credit classes, you may apply for a TPEG to cover your share of the tuition and fees. You must complete the TASFA and submit income documents along with your TPEG dual credit application at one of our Financial Aid Offices.

If you're an international student, your TPEG Foreign Student Application requires approval from the International Student Counselor in Educational Planning, Counseling, and Completion. You need to obtain approval first. You must complete the TASFA and submit income documents along with your TPEG Foreign Student Application at one of our Financial Aid Offices.

If you're in certain continuing education classes, you may apply for TPEG. You must complete the TASFA and submit income documents along with your TPEG CPD Application to one of our Financial Aid Offices.

Texas Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG) is also a need-based grant for students who are not eligible for a Texas Grant. To qualify, you must (1) be a Texas resident; (2) be enrolled in a certificate or associate degree plan at a two-year institution; (3) have an EFC no greater than $6454 for the Initial Year or demonstrate financial need for the Renewal Year (as determined by a standard need-analysis process); (4) not have been convicted of felonies or crimes involving controlled substances; and (5) not have an associate degree or baccalaureate degree. Eligibility for TEOG ends with the first of: 4 years from the start of the semester in which you received the award, 75 total attempted semester credit hours, or have acquired an associate degree.

You must be enrolled in at least 6 semester credit hours to receive a disbursement from your award. 

By the way, if you’re transferring to San Jac and are eligible for a Renewal TEXAS Grant or TEOG, make sure to notify our Financial Aid Office by October 1st for the fall term and by February 1st for the spring, so you don’t miss your chance for consideration.

Please Note:

You can only receive grants at one school during a term. You should consider accepting your financial aid at the school where you will enroll for the majority of your classes.

If you anticipate receiving other assistance such as scholarships/grants (not awarded by SJC Financial Aid Services) or Veteran benefits, please notify the Financial Aid Office. Failure to supply this information could result in an immediate reduction or cancellation of any aid offered or disbursed.

Federal Student Loans

Direct Loans, from the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (DL) Program, are low-interest loans for eligible students to help cover the cost of higher education. The William D. Ford Direct Loan program will serve as your lender and servicer for the life of the loan. This program allows students to borrow loan funds directly from the Federal Government. If you were a borrower under the previous FFEL Program, your existing entrance counseling session and Master Promissory Note (MPN) do not apply to Direct Loans. You will need to complete a new entrance counseling and to sign a new MPN with the Direct Loan program. Interest rates vary depending on the type of loan and disbursement date. Please visit for more information on rates. 


Applying for a Direct Loan

First Step: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please note, you must complete a new FAFSA for each school year. The school year begins with the fall semester and ends with the summer semester.

Second Step:  

If you are requesting a Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan for the fall or spring term in the 2022-23 school year, please submit the 2022-23 SJC Direct Loan Request form.  

If you are requesting a PLUS loan, please log on to and select “Request a PLUS Loan” then “Parent PLUS” loan type.

Third Step: Complete the Entrance Counseling by logging on to and selecting “Complete Entrance Counseling” (Please choose undergraduate counseling type.) First-time borrowers are required to complete counseling prior to any disbursement of a loan.

Fourth Step: Once your loan has been awarded, sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) by logging on to and selecting “Complete Master Promissory Note” (Please choose subsidized/unsubsidized option.) You are encouraged to download or print a copy of your MPN for your records. We recommend waiting until your loan award has been made before completing your MPN online.

**Remember, you must be enrolled and attending half-time (6 semester credit hours) for your loan to authorize or disburse.**


Type of Loans in the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program (DL)

Subsidized Direct Student Loans are low interest, long-term loans funded by the federal government for students who demonstrate financial need. You are not charged interest before repayment begins or during authorized deferment periods. The government “subsidizes” the interest while you’re enrolled at least half-time, which is six credit hours.

Unsubsidized Direct Student Loans are available to students who need additional assistance, and you don’t have to demonstrate financial need to get one. These loans charge interest immediately until they’re paid off.

Parent Loans to Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a credit based loan that is available to parents, not to exceed the cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid awarded to the students. These loans are only available to parents of dependent students. If your parents are denied a PLUS loan, you can exceed annual dependent loan maximums by up to $4,000 through an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan; however, you must do so by submitting an additional loan request.

**Please note: San Jac does not originate Grad PLUS Loans**

Click here for more details on this law or you may review your entrance counseling in

Loan Periods and Direct Loan Disbursements

Loan funds are authorized to your account to pay tuition, fees, and bookstore charges. The balance of loan funds (after tuition, fees, and books are paid) begin releasing 30 calendar days after classes start and are paid in three or more installments called disbursements.

Please see chart below for approximate dates of standard loan disbursements. All students are encouraged to review details about their individual disbursement schedule in SOS.

For your loan to authorize or disburse, you need to be enrolled and attending six credit hours or more. If you are registered for parts of term, your loan will not disburse until you reach six credit hours.

Due to federal regulations, first-time borrowers are not disbursed loan funds until 30 days after the start of the term. First-time borrowers are defined as students who are within their first year (have completed 29 hours or less including transfer work) and who have not previously received a loan award at either SJC or another school.

2022-23 Loan Disbursement Dates


1st Disbursement

2nd Disbursement

3rd Disbursement

4th Disbursement

5th Disbursement

Loan Application Deadline Dates























Summer Loans

The summer term counts as a separate period for financial aid and requires a separate loan application. Remember, just like loans for fall and spring, you have to be taking at least six credit hours to be eligible. So if you’re taking three hours for the first part of the summer and another three hours for the second part, eligibility kicks in when you’re taking the second part.

If you received the maximum loans during the Fall and Spring terms, additional loans are not available unless you advanced a grade level.

Maximum loan amounts

The annual maximum amounts you may borrow are as follows:

  • $5,500 for a first-year, dependent student
  • $6,500 for a second-year, dependent student
  • $9,500 for a first-year, independent student
  • $10,500 for a second-year, independent student

In addition to annual borrowing limits, loans also have aggregate limits:

  • $31,000 total of subsidized and unsubsidized limit for dependent students – No more than $23,000 of this amount may be subsidized
  • $57,500 total of subsidized and unsubsidized limit for independent students – No more than $23,000 of this amount may be subsidized

Your financial need and program of study determines how much of this you’re eligible for. Because loans are a type of aid that must be repaid, we recommend only borrowing what you need. If your parents are denied a PLUS loan, you can exceed these maximums by up to $4,000 through an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan; however, you must do so by submitting an additional loan request.

The following table defines first and second-year students as well as eligibility by loan periods:


Dependent student Subsidized+Unsubsidized

Independent student Subsidized+Unsubsidized

First-Year Student (Up to 29 completed hours – transfer hours included)

Two terms (Fall and Spring)

$3,500 + 2000

$3,500 + $6,000

One term (Fall, Spring or Summer)

$1,750 + 1000

$1,750 + $3,000

Second-Year Student (30 or more hours completed – transfer hours included)

Two terms (Fall and Spring)

$4,500 +2000

$4,500 + $6,000

One term (Fall, Spring or Summer)

$2,250 +1000

$2,250 + $3,000


How to cancel or reduce loan proceeds

You (or your parent in the case of a PLUS loan) have the right to cancel all or part of a Stafford loan. All you do is submit a signed written request to the Financial Aid Office.


***Please remember that loans must be repaid***

If you still have questions regarding loans or you need any other financial aid information, please visit your Financial Aid Office.

Alternative or Private Loans

If you need additional loan funding, below is a list of lenders who have conducted business with San Jacinto College within the last 5 years. These lenders utilize electronic processing compatible with SJC’s financial aid management system ensuring consistent and timely delivery of loan funds. This is not a complete list of all lenders, the choice of lenders is yours to make.

Please note, alternative loans do not authorize in advance like Direct Loans do. This means they are not available to cover tuition, fees, or bookstore charges and you must set up other payment options in order to secure your classes and necessary class supplies. If you are not receiving additional federal funding as well, other options may be available such as an Installment Payment Plans (IPP) which is set up by the Business Office. Short Term Loans can be provided by the Financial Aid Office depending on individual circumstances.

Alternative loans are subject to different requirements than Direct Loans. Once your alternative loan has been certified by SJC, it is subject to a rescission period that may be up to 14 days depending on your lender. The rescission period is determined by the lender. If the loan has been certified and the rescission period has been met, you can expect the first disbursement of your alternative loan to post on the same “1st Disbursement Date”as a Direct Loan (please see Loan Disbursement Dates table above.) If there are any outstanding requirements specific to your alternative loan, your disbursement may occur after the Direct Loan disbursement dates.  







1/2 Time




B21 - cuScholarship



Sallie Mae Student Loans



091 - Smart Option



TX Higher Ed Coordinating Board


800-242-3062 #6404

College Access Loan (CAL)





Compare Private Loans with Credible

Credible is the only student loan comparison tool that enables students and parents to compare unbiased, personalized and prequalified rates with no hidden fees and no impact to their credit. Credible is not a lender or a bank, we simply partner with the top student loan providers to offer a variety of competitive options . When considering a private student loan, it's important to compare rates, terms and repayment options across multiple lenders to ensure you get a loan that fits your financial situation. Credible is free to use and your information will remain secure. You can find out more about Credible and begin the process at


Refinancing Rates with Credible

Credible is a unique multi-lender marketplace for refinancing your student loans. Our approach is centered on transparency and true personalization that allows you to compare unbiased prequalified rates in under 3 mins. Credible’s technology will not only qualify graduates at a much higher rate versus any single lender, but it also does not impact your credit score or share your private information until you select an offer to proceed with. Credible is 100% free! You can find out more about Credible and begin the process


***Please remember that loans must be repaid***

If you still have questions regarding loans or you need any other financial aid information, please visit your Financial Aid Office.

Like grants, scholarships don’t have to be paid back. They’re given for financial need, academic merit and many other special criteria. Scholarships are available from a wide variety of sources, and many are reserved specifically for our students through the San Jacinto College Foundation. This non-profit organization exists to boost the excellence and achievement of San Jac students. You could be the next.

Apply online through the San Jacinto College Foundation

Visit the San Jacinto College Foundation Website

Here are more sources for scholarship information:

College for all Texans

Federal Student Aid


Chegg Scholarship Search



Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (

Other Scholarships available through

Hispanic Scholarship Fund

Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF)

My Red Kite

Sallie Mae Scholarship Search

Texas Medical Association (TMA)

The state of Texas maintains a variety of programs that exempt or waive higher education costs for specific populations. Exemptions allow some Texas residents to attend a public college or university without paying tuition or, in some cases, tuition and fees. Waivers allow certain nonresidents to enroll and pay a reduced tuition rate. 

Some programs are optional while others are mandatory. Please view this list of the exemptions and waivers available to you at SJC. For more details on each program, eligibility requirements, award amounts, and how to apply, please visit the Exemptions and Waiver Programs pages offered by College for All Texans. 

You can earn up to an additional $6,000 by working part-time on campus through the Federal Work-Study or Texas Work-Study programs. If you are interested in a Work Study position, please contact the Financial Aid Office. They will assist you in determining eligibility for this award. Also, please be sure to show your interest on question 31 of the FAFSA-Are you interested in Federal Work Study?

For a listing of jobs, please visit the San Jac Works site or contact one of our Career Services Offices. Jobs are limited, so please visit the site frequently to see what positions are available.