Residency Status


Residency Determines Your Tuition

The law classifies you either as a Texas resident, a non-Texas resident, or an international student. To qualify as a Texas resident we just need proof that you've lived here for at least a year immediately prior to your date of registration.

If you're not a U.S. citizen, we'll need a bit more documentation:

  • If you are a permanent resident of the United States you must furnish your permanent resident (green) card or I-551 passport approval stamp.
  • If you've applied for residency, you must provide the receipt for your application or petition, Form I-130, I-140 or I-485.

If you're eligible to establish domicile in the U.S. you may be eligible for classification as a Texas resident. Here are the categories set by the Immigration and Naturalization Service:

  1. Holders of unexpired visas with A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5, H-1B, H-4 (dependent of H-1B only), I, K-1, K-2, L-1a, L-1b, L-2, O-1, O-3 (dependent of O-1 only), R-1, R-2, V and NATO 6, 7 classifications.
  2. Those classified by the INS as an asylee, parolee, refugee, permanent resident, conditional permanent resident or a temporary resident holding a I-688, I-688A or I-688B Temporary Resident card that has not expired.

Undocumented Immigrants

Undocumented immigrants who meet our admission requirements can enroll, but normally will be subject to the non-Texas resident tuition rate. You may qualify for the Texas resident rate if you meet all four of these qualifications:

  1. You graduated from high school or got your GED in Texas.
  2. You've resided in Texas with a parent or court appointed guardian for at least three years prior to the date you graduated high school or received your GED.
  3. You registered as an entering student not earlier than the fall 2001 term.
  4. You provide an affidavit stating that you will file an application to become a permanent resident as soon as you're eligible.