Welcome to the College Preparatory Department
San Jacinto College’s College Preparatory Department is a Nationally Recognized Program certified by the National Association of Developmental Education (NADE) in Math, Reading & Writing. We were awarded with the 2016 John Champaign Memorial Award as an Outstanding Developmental Education Program. Read more about this award here.
Our Mission Statement:
The College Preparatory Department will prepare students to succeed in college-level courses by using an integrated and holistic approach, building upon the strengths of the students.
College Preparatory is supervised by Associate Vice Chancellor Dr. Rebecca Goosen. Our department includes several academic areas and special programs to meet the needs of our students. Our current programs include:
- We currently offer 4 developmental math foundation courses in the following areas: Algebra, Finite Math, Statistics & Contemporary Math
- We also offer accelerated math programs that pair a college prep foundation course with a college level course. These are our Co-Requisite Programs: AIM (Acceleration in Mathematics), ABS (Math for Business & Social Science or Finite) ASAP (Statistics), ACM (Contemporary Math)
- We currently offer 2 levels of INRW (Integrated Reading & Writing)
- GUST (College Student Success)
- We offer Intermediate & Advanced levels of ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages)
- For more info about the ESOL program visit: http://www.sanjac.edu/learn-english
- Intentional Connections Learning Communities - students take 3 classes together as a group and focus is on career pathways and building soft skills. Courses include Integrated Reading & Writing Courses and a GUST.
- NCBO (Non-Course Based Options)
Questions or Comments: Please email us @ College.Prep@sjcd.edu