It depends on the CLEP exam and the university that you plan to attend. Click here to search for your institution's CLEP policy.
You can test for any of the 34 introductory-level subject exams to earn credit toward your degree; however, each college determines which of the exams they will award credit for. Be sure to verify whether the college you are testing for will award credit for your scores before testing.
Each exam takes approximately 90 minutes to finish, with additional time if you take an optional essay portion.
Always check your local library for CLEP study material.
The Modern States Education Alliance also offers free online courses to help you prepare for the test and may cover your CLEP exam fee as well. You can find out more information on the Modern States website.
Yes, but you should speak with an advisor about how CLEP helps you toward degree completion. SJC awards credit for 20 of all offered exams, and an advisor can help you determine how testing fits into your current progress.
- You must earn at least three credit hours of coursework at SJC before CLEP credit can be posted to your transcript.
- You cannot earn more than 30 credit hours toward a degree from CLEP in combination with other credit by examination scores.
- You will not receive CLEP credit for a course you previously earned a grade for (A, B, C, D, F, FX, W, WL, or I).
When you are ready to test, you will need to bring the following items in order to be seated:
- Your photo identification card (must be valid and government issued)
- Your registration ticket from CLEP (must match your photo ID)
- $20 for the testing fee ($10 additional if taking an optional essay)
All other belongings are prohibited. Electronic devices, including all cell phones and smart watches, must be left outside of the testing lab. Other personal belongings must be stowed as well. Storage lockers are available but limited.
You will receive a Testing Request Form from the Testing Center to pay at the Business Office before starting. After paying, bring back your form, receipt and photo ID to test.