Course Length: 160 hours
Designated Duty Engineer (DDE) 1000/4000 horsepower is a 20-day USCG & STCW approved course that provides students with the functional knowledge, understanding and skills in the following areas:
- Marine Engineering, General Knowledge and Functions.
- Electricity, Electronics and Control Systems.
- Machinery, Systems and Auxiliary Machinery/Equipment.
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning.
- Steam Generators and Auxiliary Steam Turbines.
- Motor Propulsion, Diesels.
- Diesel Propulsion Plants and Machinery Operating Procedures.
- Marine Engineering Safety.
- General Safety, Hazards and Lifesaving Appliances.
Students who successfully complete Designated Duty Engineer (DDE) 1000/4000 Horsepower will satisfy the professional examination requirements of 46 CFR 11.903(a)(34) for an original national officer endorsement as Designated Duty Engineer Less Than 4,000 HP Motor; and satisfy the following tasks from the Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch 4.2.A; 5.1.A; 11.2.A; 11.3.A and 11.4.A.