Course Length: 160 hours
Designated Duty Engineer (DDE) Unlimited Horsepower is a 20-day USCG & STCW approved course that provides students with the functional knowledge, understanding and skills in the following areas:
- Marine Engineering, General Knowledge and Functions.
- Electricity, Electronics and Control Systems.
- Machinery, Systems and Auxiliary Machinery/Equipment.
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning.
- Steam Generators and Auxiliary Steam Turbines.
- Motor Propulsion, Diesels.
- Diesel Propulsion Plants and Machinery Operating Procedures.
- Marine Engineering Safety.
- General Safety, Hazards and Lifesaving Appliances.
Students who successfully complete Designated Duty Engineer (DDE) Unlimited Horsepower will receive 45 days of sea service credit that can be applied towards the service requirements of 46 CFR 11.524(b)(1) for a credential as Designated Duty Engineer of Motor Propelled Vessels of Unlimited Horsepower; and
satisfy the following tasks from the Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch 4.3.A; 4.3.C; 4.3.F; 6.1.A; 6.2.A and 6.3.A.