Course Length: 24 hours
Cost: $300 per day
Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch Motor Assessments Only is a 3-day USCG & STCW approved course that has students demonstrate the competence to:
Carry out a watch routine appropriate to the duties of a rating forming part of an engine-room watch.
Understand orders and be understood in matters relevant to watchkeeping duties.
- Terms used in machinery spaces and names of machinery and equipment
- Engine-room watchkeeping procedures
- Safe working practices as related to engine-room operations
- Basic environmental protection procedures
- Use of appropriate internal communication system
- Engine-room alarm systems and ability to distinguish between the various alarms, with special reference to fire-extinguishing gas alarms
Operate emergency equipment and apply emergency procedures.
- Knowledge of emergency duties
- Escape routes from machinery spaces
- Familiarity with the location and use of fire-fighting equipment in the machinery spaces
Students who successfully complete the Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch Motor Assessments Only course, including specific practical assessments from the Guidelines for Qualification for STCW Endorsements as Rating Forming Part of an Engineering Watch, NVIC 07-14 will satisfy the assessment requirement of 46 CFR 12.609(a)(3) and Table A-III/4 of the Seafarers' Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) Code, as amended, 2010, Specification of Minimum Standard of Competence for Ratings Forming Part of an Engineering Watch. Applicants using this approval to apply for endorsement as RFPEW-Motor Only must document at least 60 days of seagoing service that involves experience associated with engine room functions and involves the performance of duties carried out under the direct supervision of an engineer officer or a qualified STCW rating. The specific tasks performed in the course are considered equivalent to those of NVIC 07-14, and are: 1.1.A; 1.1.B(M); 1.1.C; 1.1.D; 1.1.E; 1.1.F; 1.1.G; 1.1.H(M); 1.1.H(M/G); 1.1I(M); 1.1J; 1.1. K1.2.A; 1.2.B; 1.2.C; 1.2.D; 1.2.E; 1.2.F; 1.3.A; 1.3.B; 1.3.C; 2.1.A; 2.1.B; 2.1.C; 2.2.A; 2.2.B; 2.3.A; 3.1.B; 4.1.A; 4.2.A; 4.2.B