PASADENA, Texas — San Jacinto College and Service Wire Co. have partnered to develop new talent in the cable industry leader’s management program. In a graduation ceremony held on Saturday, Nov. 12, the first class of the Fundamentals of Leadership course presented their final demonstrations of how they would implement all of the skills they learned in front of San Jac and Service Wire leadership.
“San Jacinto College was proud to partner with Service Wire to create a partnership that will foster a long relationship,” said Sheila Simon, director, business and professions for Continuing and Professional Development at San Jac. “We received positive feedback and welcomed the opportunity to be cohort two of the program in October.”
The yearlong training occurred at San Jac’s Generation Park campus, which is right around the corner from Service Wire’s facility. The five-member group met once every other month to discuss, a variety of leadership topics including:
- The Role of a Supervisor – General competencies and a review of the participants’ Clifton Strengths assessments
- Leadership Coaching – Joint goal setting and recognizing employee development needs and readiness
- Team Building – Identify different strengths of each team members and how to maximize the team dynamic
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving – Understand different ways of thinking and how to adapt to various audiences to be more effective in decision-making and problem solving
- Conflict Management – Discuss different conflict resolution styles and how to negotiate the best alternatives for resolving issues
- Business Communication – Identify various barriers to communication and techniques for managing both oral and written communication
- Change Management – How to adapt to situations and understand each phase of change and the need to communicate for buy-in
- Time Management – Focus on prioritizing while holding team accountable for completing quality and accurate assignments on time
“Collaborative partnerships are crucial to ensure we provide effective and valuable workforce development programs,” said Simon. “Feedback and engagement from our community partners helps to drive our program success.”
Sessions were facilitated by San Jac employees Kimberley Ward and Amanda Materre. Recently, Service Wire and San Jacinto College started training of a second leadership cohort. To schedule a leadership program for your company, contact Simon at Sheila.email@example.com or (281) 542-2061.
About San Jacinto College
Surrounded by monuments of history, evolving industries, maritime enterprises of today, and the space age of tomorrow, San Jacinto College has served the people of East Harris County, Texas, since 1961. San Jacinto College is among the top five community colleges in the nation, as designated by the Aspen Institute for Community College Excellence in 2021, and was named an Achieving the Dream Leader College of Distinction in 2020. The College is a Hispanic-Serving Institution that spans five campuses, serving approximately 41,000 credit and non-credit students annually. It offers more than 200 degrees and certificates across eight major areas of study that put students on a path to transfer to four-year institutions or enter the workforce. San Jacinto College’s impact on the region totals $1.3 billion in added income, which supports 13,044 jobs. The College is fiscally sound, holding bond ratings of AA and Aa2 by Standard & Poor’s and Moody’s
For more information about San Jacinto College call 281-998-6150, visit sanjac.edu or join the conversation on Facebook and Twitter.