Find tips for grocery shopping, telemedicine and other resources for aging well.
Enjoy reading past editions of our Senior Focus magazines and be on the lookout for the upcoming Winter edition that will be delivered to homes in early December.
The CDC is recommending phone and video visits to help avoid exposure to COVID-19 in the waiting room. Telemedicine provides patients access to a licensed board-certiﬁed doctor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from the comfort of their home. Doctors can diagnose, treat, and prescribe medications through telemedicine appointments
- Watch this PBS video for an Overview of Telemedicine
- Create your personal medication record. Make a list to keep track of your prescription drugs, over-the counter (OTC) medications, herbal supplements, and vitamins.
- Checklist to prepare for your telemedicine appointment from the National Council on Aging
In response to COVID-19, there are several grocery stores that have hours specific to senior citizens and those who have special needs.
Shopping tips from the CDC
Below is a short list of retailers in Pasadena offering specific hours for senior shopping or curb side pick-up. Hours and days are subject to change. Please contact each store to confirm.
- Major Chain Store Hours from Pasadena Chamber of Commerce
- Aldi -Stores will open to vulnerable shoppers Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8:30 AM
- Costco -Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
- Food Town, 2040 Richey, Pasadena. Everyday. 7:00 AM – 8:00 AM
- HEB -Senior Support Phone line (833-397-0080). Seven days a week. 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Joe V’s Smart Shop -Senior Support Phone line (833-397-0800). Seven days a week. 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Kroger -Delivery or pick up using their website or app.
- Sam’s Club -Tuesdays and Thursdays “Shop from your Car". 7:00 AM – 9:00 AM
- Target, 5757 Fairmont Pkwy, Pasadena. Tuesdays and Wednesdays. 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
- Walgreens -Every Tuesday. 8:00 AM – 9:00 AM
- Walmart -Tuesday Only. 6:00 AM – 7:00 AM
Free Online Health Workshops for Seniors
In collaboration with Harris County Public Health, we are offering workshops in self-managing chronic conditions and fall prevention.
What Workshops are Being Offered:
- Chronic Disease Self-Management
- Chronic Pain Self-Management
- Diabetes Self-Management
- Texercise Select
- A Matter of Balance (Fall Prevention)
- Tai Chi for Arthritis & Fall Prevention
Dates: Beginning January 11th
Time: 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Online Zoom Meeting
Call or E-Mail Now to Reserve Your Spot!
Regular exercise can help seniors remain independent longer, promote overall health benefits, and reduce the risk of falling. Learn workout routines and easy chair exercises to improve balance, leg strength and age well!
Senior Workout with Adrienne Percy
Join lifelong Physical Education teacher, Mrs. Adrienne Percy for an inspirational workout specifically tailored for seniors. With over 50 years of fitness training experience, Mrs. Percy spent 14 years refining this workout routine for mature adults.
The instructor-led workout is divided into two parts.
- Part #1 - The first video begins with a warm-up and progresses to a heart-pumping aerobic workout.
- Part #2 - For extended physical activity, follow Mrs. Percy as she continues with a floor exercise segment to develop core body strength.
As always, please be sure to obtain medical clearance from your physician before beginning any physical activity.
A Matter of Balance
Service of Harris County Public Health - Healthy Aging Program
A Matter of Balance (AMOB) is a FREE program for adults 55+ years of age. AMOB teaches practical strategies to reduce the fear of falling and to diminish the risk of falling. The 8-week instructor-led curriculum includes lectures, group discussions, and exercise training. Participants learn about the importance of physical activity in preventing falls. Practice exercises, for all fitness levels, will teach how to improve strength, coordination and balance. The fun, interactive classes include free food and prizes!
Dates: Pending. To learn more or reserve your spot at the next session, call 281.476.1893 or email Community.Engagement@sjcd.edu
Location: San Jacinto College Central Campus, CPD Community Center, 8060 Spencer Highway, Pasadena 77505.
Try this sample workout from Go4Life and the National Institute on Aging to help increase your daily level of physical activity.
San Jacinto College CPD Lifelong Learning offers a variety of instructor-led fitness programs. Popular classes include Tai Chi and Gentle Yoga.