The heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVACR) industry continues to advance technologically, especially in the areas of computerization and sophisticated control systems. Thus, an upward trend is emerging in the changing skill sets required for successful service technicians. If you’re passionate about progressive technology and are interested in a satisfying high-demand career based on skill, then the San Jacinto College air conditioning technology program is right for you.
The San Jacinto College air conditioning (HVACR) technology program:
- Is designed to provide students with the necessary skills required to become a state-licensed independent business owner/contractor, or for employment in the industry as a technician in residential, commercial, and/or industrial air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating; and
- Is made up of a curriculum that provides the basic preparation for entry-level jobs in the fields of air conditioning, refrigeration, and heating with initial focus on troubleshooting and service. As students advance through the program, they will learn related topics of indoor air quality, load calculation, system design, and industry code standards.
The Fast Track to HVACR program allows students to complete an occupational certificate in just 16 weeks – one semester.
Upon completion of each certificate, students may become registered with the state by registering with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR).
Graduates of the air conditioning program will enter a high demand field with excellent wage-earning potential. Presently, industry advisors say the demand for technicians has a 10-year backlog, and a 21 percent growth rate, faster than the average for all occupations.
Graduates of the San Jacinto College air conditioning technology program have the opportunity to work as:
- Residential/commercial technicians,
- Industrial or maintenance technicians,
- Independent business owners or contractors, and
- Refrigeration technicians.
Heating and air conditioning mechanic and installer median salary: $50,6481
Source: texaswages.com, Gulf Coast region, 2018
For more information, students may contact North campus at 281-998-6150, x7264 or South campus at 281-998-6150, x3587.