A Diagnostic Medical Sonographer is a person qualified to provide patient imaging using ultrasound technology and equipment under the supervision of a medical doctor to examine many parts of the body, such as the abdomen, breasts, female and male reproductive systems, and more.
The diagnostic medical sonography program at San Jacinto College:
- Prepares students to work in entry-level positions in hospitals and other health care facilities through hands-on laboratory practice and a variety of clinical rotations;
- Trains students to use high frequency sound waves to produce images used for assessment and diagnosis of various medical conditions. The program concentrates on imaging the organs of the abdomen, pelvis, superficial structures as well as obstetrics; and
- Grants students eligibility to apply to take exams for the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Hwy 19 N, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
- Full-time days only (clinical day: 7:30 AM-5:30 PM; lecture day: 7:30 AM-4 PM);
- Clinical site rotations through 15 facilities (including Pearland, Texas Medical Center, and Galveston); and
- Typical school calendar is followed (16-week spring and fall terms; 13-week summer term).
Employment of sonographers is expected to grow by 44 percent by 2020, much faster than the average for all occupations. Sonographic technology is expected to evolve rapidly and to spawn many new sonography procedures, such as 3D- and 4D-sonography for use in obstetric and ophthalmologic diagnosis.
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer average median salary: $72,477 per year1
Source: texaswages.com, Gulf Coast region, 2018
Altered Operations - DMSO Application Submission PROCEDURES (updated 5.13.2020)
- Sonography Checklist - Fall ***UPDATED***
- JRC-DMS Program Outcomes
- Sonography Program Costs