Have you always wanted a career helping others? Are you passionate about making a difference? An emergency medical services (EMS) certificate from San Jacinto College can prepare you for certification in a health care field that can lead to a career in EMS or other related fields. Each year in the US, about 240 million calls are made to 911 for emergency medical assistance, which means just about every minute someone urgently needs help, your help. If you qualify, next time you could be the one receiving a call for emergency help. Are you ready?
The San Jacinto College emergency medical services program:
- Combines classroom lectures and lab skills with real time clinical patient treatment experience in hospitals and on ambulances. EMS training at San Jacinto College utilizes modern classroom facilities and state-of-the-art skills laboratory equipment to prepare students to be competent and qualified emergency medical personnel;
- Provides live hospital clinical and 911 ambulance (EMS) patient-care experiences to give students practical experience in the workplace during training. Students apply knowledge and skills learned in the classroom in real life patient treatment situations, supervised by experienced clinical faculty and preceptors; and
- Is taught by faculty carefully selected based on their knowledge, teaching abilities, previous education, and EMS field experience. San Jacinto College EMS faculty are committed to student success by providing quality education and training. Many are well known and highly respected throughout the EMS community.
The San Jacinto College Emergency Medical Services Program is accredited by:
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs () upon the recommendation of Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33756
Continuing Education activities are accredited by:
Commission on Accreditation for Pre-Hospital Continuing Education (CAPCE)
12300 Ford Road, Suite 350
Dallas, TX 75234
The San Jacinto College Emergency Medical Services Program is overseen by and granted approval from:
The Texas Department of State Health Services, Office of EMS/Trauma Systems Coordination
The Exchange Building
8407 Wall Street, Suite N-410
Austin, TX 78754
Certification testing for EMS certification is done through the National Registry of EMTs:
Rocco V. Morando Building
6610 Busch Blvd.
Columbus, Ohio 43229
Why is this information important? Click here for a short video explaining the importance of accreditation.
Graduates of our program have numerous opportunities for employment and growth in their education. Although career placement as a certified EMT, Advanced EMT, or Paramedic does not require the completion of an associate degree, students who do complete the degree have greater career opportunities and are eligible to become licensed paramedics by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
Most graduates continue their careers in the EMS field and are employed by:
- Public agencies such as municipal or county 911 EMS, fire departments, and police departments (SWAT Tactical Medics),
- Private EMS services,
- Helicopter or fixed-wing air ambulance services,
- Staff medics with offshore oil and gas exploration companies, and
- Contractors working in developing and recovering countries.
* Source: EMS Workforce for the 21st Century: A National Assessment
Graduate opportunities may also extend beyond traditional EMS roles:
- Law Enforcement
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Health Care Administration
- Physician Assistant or Medical Doctor
Emergency Medical Technician & Paramedics median salary $34,816 per year1
Source: texaswages.com, Gulf Coast region, 2017
For more information, please contact 281-998-6150, x7301.
If you are interested in our program or just looking for information and need someone to contact please fill out our Program Information Request Form using the blue "Program Information Request Form" link below:
EMS PROGRAM INFORMATION SESSIONS
EMS program information sessions have been cancelled until further notice. Please complete the Information Request Form link below for more program information or if you have any questions.
EMS MANDATORY SUMMER 2020 ORIENTATION
May 06, 2020- 10:00 A.M. - 05:00 P.M.
ALLIED HEALTH BLDG. N-17.1081
The State of Texas and our EMS program require you provide a current (within 1 year) criminal background check and drug screen. Our program utilizes a third party vendor to obtain these records. You can order your background and drug screen at www.castlebranch.com using the package code SQ29. This package also includes review of all of your immunizations records (please see requirements below) and physical form. The package costs $86.00. Please purchase the account prior to the start of the semester. All requirements must be complete prior to class start date.
All immunizations must be current and must not expire during the program.
Tetanus (td/tdap) [within the past 10 years]
TB (PPD) skin test, Chest X-ray, or Quantiferon test [within the past year]
Seasonal flu shot or proof of allergy to the flu shot
2 MMR shots or titer that shows immunity
2 Varicella shots or titer that shows immunity
HEP B series of 3 shots or titer that shows immunity
HEP C Antibody
Order Background Check and Drug Screen
Students must submit results from a background investigation. This process can be done through Castle Branch at www.castlebranch.com. Package Code: SQ29
**ALL EMS PROGRAM STUDENTS MUST PURCHASE AND COMPLETE CASTLEBRANCH REQUIREMENTS BEFORE THE START OF CLASS.**
Applicants must pass a program approved physical. The physical form is available below:
ALL EMS STUDENTS will be required to purchase the "Nav2 Premier Package" access code along with either the e-book or printed textbook package. The college bookstore has books available for you to purchase or you may purchase them at a vendor of your choice.
EMT- Basic Textbook: Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured 11th Edition w/ Navigate 2 Premier Access
EMT-Advanced and Paramedic Textbook: Nancy Caroline's Emergency Care in the Streets 8th Edition w/ Navigate 2 Premier Access