All successful projects start with a good plan. For architects, engineering designers, CAD drafters, and builders, that plan comes in the form of working drawings produced by technically talented and well-trained individuals. If you have a desire to express your knowledge through computer aided design software, San Jacinto College can give you the skills you need to make your way into this exciting field. This degree allows you to pursue careers that strike a satisfying balance between creativity, technical proficiency, and attention to detail. You can make yourself an indispensable asset in a variety of fields, such as architecture, manufacturing, engineering, construction, and the oil and gas industry, with a degree in engineering design graphics.
The engineering design graphics program at San Jacinto College:
- Trains students to translate the ideas of designers, engineers, and architects from rough sketches, design layouts, specifications, and calculations into working drawings, maps, plans, illustrations, and 3D models;
- Offers students the skills needed to prepare technical drawings and/or 3D models using Computer Aided Drafting (CAD), design, and 3D modeling software; and
- Offers degree plans in three areas:
Growth in Houston’s diversified job markets has created employment openings for drafters. Career opportunities for drafters are available in:
- Engineering: Electrical, Instrumentation, Structural, Civil
- Oil, Energy, and Petrochemical
- Public Works
Mechanical drafter median salary: $67,474 per year1
Source: texaswages.com, Gulf Coast region, 2017
For more information, please contact Central Campus, 281-476-1841; North Campus, 281-998-6150, x 7765; and South Campus, 281-998-6150, x 3587.