Are you passionate about the Internet? Are you fascinated by Web and Network security? If so, San Jacinto College’s information technology security training can help you kick start a career in the network security field. This degree prepares students for entry level security certifications such as Security+. It lays the ground work for higher level certifications. As an Information Technologist, you can help keep hackers, viruses, and terrorists from intruding and damaging computers and networks.
The San Jacinto information technology (IT) curriculum:
- Is designed to provide students with an understanding of the principles and techniques of information technology;
- Prepares students to work in the network security field to help keep hackers, viruses, and terrorists from intruding and damaging computers; and
- Teaches students how to safeguard computer operating systems by teaching server support skills and designing and implementing security systems.
Some of our programming courses will be accepted for transfer to certain schools. Please speak with a counselor for more information on course transferability.
Due to variations in requirements at four-year colleges and universities, a student desiring to pursue a bachelor’s degree in computer science is strongly advised to consult the CIT department chair at San Jacinto College and at the institution to which they wish to transfer to review the appropriate transfer degree plans to the designated university. The field of study computer science, located in the SJCD degree catalog, may also be appropriate.
*The program is designed primarily for students seeking an occupational certificate, certificate of technology, or Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree. The College recommends that students complete the 18 credit hour core information technology (IT) occupational certificate before continuing into a certificate of technology or AAS degree. The classes in the core IT occupational certificate will apply toward most of the other IT certificates of technology and AAS degrees.
Graduates of who earn an AAS degree or certificate of technology typically pursue careers as:
- Information technology security officers
- Network Operations Specialists
- VPN Engineers
- Chief Security Officers
For more information, please contact North Campus, 281-998-6150 ext. 7242; or South Campus, 281-929-4603.