Do you have a passion for medical discovery? San Jacinto College’s Medical Laboratory Technology program may be for you. Lab workers play a vital role in the health of our society. Although they have minimal contact with patients, they provide doctors with critical information to diagnose, monitor, and treat patients.
The San Jacinto College Medical Laboratory Technology program:
- Prepares students to work behind the scenes in four major areas of clinical lab work, including hematology, chemistry, blood bank and microbiology;
- Introduces students to lab safety, hygiene, personal protective equipment, and instrumentation;
- Involves 23 months of study with a curriculum focused on the four major clinical lab areas; and
- Combines theory and student labs taught on campus and clinical education taught in area hospitals.
After completing the curriculum, students earn an Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree and are eligible to take the national certification exams and apply for the certification examination given by the Board of Registry of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists and/or the National Certification Agency for Medical Laboratory Personnel.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics expects employment of medical laboratory technicians to grow by 15 percent within the next eight years.
An associate degree in medical laboratory technology prepares students for many career opportunities, including:
- Clinical laboratory science,
- Anatomic pathology,
- Medical office technician, and
- Research assistant roles.
Work environments include:
- Hospital labs,
- Doctors’ office labs,
- Private labs,
- Veterinary labs,
- Industrial labs,
- Centers for Disease Control,
- Departments of Health and Human Services,
- Biohazardous waste companies,
- Police departments, and
- Industrial labs.
Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician Median salary: $52,791 per year1
Source: texaswages.com, Houston region, 2018
The San Jacinto College Medical Laboratory Technology program is accredited by:
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
5600 N. River Road, Suite 720
Rosemont, Illinois 60018-5119
For more information, students may contact 281-478-3612 or email@example.com.
Program Application at https://www.sanjac.edu/career/medical-laboratory-technology
Application are accepted as follows:
Fall entrance: January 1 - June 1
Spring entrance: September 1 - October 20