If you have a technical mind, you are in luck. Houston is home to the largest petrochemical and refining complex in the nation, and the demand for skilled process technicians continues to grow! Our graduates enter the workforce with the necessary skills that are highly prized by companies that continually hire students directly out of our program.
The San Jacinto College Associate of Applied Science (AAS) degree in process technology:
- Prepares students to become plant operators responsible for equipment, the hazards of the chemicals and the chemistry and physics involved in process technology;
- Teaches students to read piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs), identify and troubleshoot equipment, operate simulators and as a capstone course, run the Glycol Distillation Unit which is PTAC 2438 - Process Technology III - Operations;
- Is praised by area industry for the quality of students graduating from the program as we are endorsed by the North American Process Technology Alliance (NAPTA); and
- The Process Technology program has participated and won the NAPTA National Troubleshooting Competition Championship three years in a row since we entered in 2017, 2018, and 2019.
Graduates of the San Jacinto College process technology program have the opportunity to work in:
- Chemical plants,
- Wastewater treatment plants,
- Pharmaceutical plants,
- Paper mills,
- Pipelines, and
- Fuel storage depots.
Chemical Plant and System Operators median salary: $70,508 per year1
Source: texaswages.com, Gulf Coast region, 2017
For more information, contact:
Program Director - 281-998-6150, x1495
Department Chair - 281-478-2712