As a respiratory care practitioner, breathing easily will become your expertise. Passionate practitioners care for a variety of patients, including newborn infants in respiratory distress, children with asthma or pneumonia, adult victims of trauma, and older patients with emphysema or cardiac failure.
The San Jacinto College Respiratory Care program:
- Offers a comprehensive curriculum for the preparation of respiratory care practitioners in the field of respiratory therapy, and is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care;
- Prepares students for the responsibility of treatment, management, control, diagnostic evaluation, and care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of the cardiopulmonary system; and
- Allows graduates to gain hands-on experience as respiratory care practitioners by administering therapeutic gases, medications, chest therapy, pulmonary function testing, arterial blood gas analysis, hemodynamic monitoring, and mechanical ventilation to patients in hospitals in the greater Houston area, including the Texas Medical Center.
Upon completion, students are eligible for admission to the credentialing examinations for respiratory therapy offered by the National Board for Respiratory Care (CRT and RRT) and may also apply for a Respiratory Care Practitioner License from the Texas Medical Board.
Employment of respiratory therapists is expected to increase faster than the average for all occupations according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, because of substantial growth of the middle-aged and elderly population. Respiratory Therapists are employed in:
- Respiratory therapy clinics,
- Nursing homes,
- Home health agencies, and
- Firms that supply respiratory equipment for home use.
Respiratory Therapist median average salary: $60,808per year1
Source: texaswages.com, Gulf Coast region, 2018
For more information, students may contact 281-998-3612.
Application packet and other important information: www.sanjac.edu/career/respiratory-care
The application period for Fall 2021 will open January 4th, 2021 and run through June 7th, 2021 at 5pm.
Applicants will be notified by email regarding acceptance or rejection no later than June 14th, 2021 for the Fall 2021 start.
Respiratory Care Information Sessions - UPDATED 6.16.2020
Information Session Registration Form (do not submit multiple requests for the session, you will receive a Zoom invite 2 days before the meeting).
Program Goals and Accreditation:
To prepare graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).
The program is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC), 1248 Harwood Rd., Bedford, Texas 76021-4244,
817.283.2835 or visit http://www.coarc.com/Students/Programmatic-Outcome-Data.aspx