CPET is excited to announce the development of the Process Safety Certificate Program which will promote the ownership of process safety at all levels of operations.
The Mary Kay O'Connor Process Safety Center (MKOPSC) at Texas A&M University and the LyondellBasell Center for Petrochemical, Energy, & Technology (CPET) at San Jacinto College are taking initiatives to develop a process safety training program for workers in the chemical and energy industries. The program will target operators, supervisors, and engineers with four introductory courses designed to provide a thorough knowledge base that is balanced with hands-on, real world applications and practice. Upon completion of the four courses, a trainee will receive a Process Safety Continuing Education Certificate from San Jacinto College.
Content for the four courses is currently in development via a collaboration of MKOPSC, CPET, and subject matter experts participating through the Texas Chemical Council Safety Committee. Leadership and oversight are provided by the Steering Team composed of representatives from MKOPSC, CPET, and Texas Chemical Council.
For more information:
- Jim Griffin, CPET - Associate Vice Chancellor, Senior Vice-President, James.Griffin@sjcd.edu
- Jay Culver, CPET Incumbent Workforce, Jay.Culver@sjcd.edu
- Laura Sotu, CPET Coordinator, CPET Registration Systems, Laura.Sotu@sjcd.edu
Each of the four courses will provide 48 hours of instruction over approximately two months, delivered in a hybrid format consisting of:
- 24 hours of online content containing lecture and study materials prepared by the Texas A&M MKOPSC.
- 24 hours of hands-on, work-based learning at the CPET state-of-the-art facilities.
The first course, Introduction to Process Safety, is recommended prior to taking the Risk Management course. Trainees can choose to take just one course or multiple courses. A certificate will be awarded to those trainees who complete all four courses.
- Introduction to Process Safety (Course description)
- Industrial Safety and Technical Fundamentals (Course description)
- Introduction to Risk Management (Course description) requires prerequisite course: Introduction to Process Safety
- Fire Protection and Emergency Response (Course description)
- Summer 2023 Schedule
Introduction to Process Safety
Begins May 15, 2023
Intro to Process Safety Registration Link Industrial Safety and Technical Fundamentals
Introduction to Risk Management TBA Fire Protection and Emergency Response TBA
- Need a different payment option?
If you need to pay using a company PO, check, or other option, you can:
- Download this excel file. Complete the information and email it to Laura.Sotu@sjcd.edu who will complete your registration process. Alternatively, you can create your SJC student G# yourself by completing registration for this free course title "CPET Special Project" (link here).
- Complete a company payment voucher and print on your company letter head. Then, email it to Laura.Sotu@sjcd.edu. (Sample voucher letter here.) Note that the company voucher letter must be received within 24 hours of when your registration is completed or the system will delete your registration due to missing payment.
- Downloadable Files
What are others saying about this new certificate program?