- Graduation caps and gowns can be purchased at the campus bookstore for a cost of $38 + tax.
- Women wear their caps throughout the ceremony. Men remove their caps for the Invocation.
- Out of respect and dignity of the ceremony we ask that graduates do not decorate or alter their caps or gowns in any way.
- No high school cords, stoles, medals, or tassels are allowed to be worn (with the exception of early college high school medals, see below).
- Only black tassels are allowed to be worn.
- Only approved specialty regalia, cords, stoles, medals, or tassels will be allowed to be worn.
- See below for approved specialty regalia
- All other specialty regalia should be reserved for personal photos and will not be allowed during the ceremony.
Approved specialty regalia - Please read
All approved specialty regalia is to be worn over your gown and are determined by advisor. Only black tassels are approved to be worn at the ceremony.
- Honors graduates – medals given by the Honor department. (No gold tassels)
- Phi Theta Kappa - gold stole or blue and gold cords ordered by student.
- National Technical Honor Society - grey and purple cords or stole ordered by student.
- Early College High School - San Jacinto College medallion given by ECHS.
(No high school tassels)
- Veterans - red, white and blue cords given out at commencement registration area.
GOWNS 4 GRADS
Graduation is an important celebration for San Jacinto College students. We recognize that some of our students are not able to participate in commencement for financial reasons. The Gowns for Grads program was created to provide access to graduation regalia for students who may be challenged by the costs associated with participating in the ceremony.
Application and Eligibility
Students can apply by filling out the online form. Recipients must be in good standing, have applied for graduation, and cannot have any holds impacting their grades. Applications will be reviewed for eligibility on a first-come first-serve basis. The application deadline for December commencement is Monday, December 2, 2019 at 5pm.
Regalia Pick-Up and Gown Return
Instructions for pick-up and return will be emailed to recipients. The gown must be returned to the Student Engagement & Activities Office on your campus within two weeks after commencement in the original condition.