Accessibility Services FAQs

1. Click the button below to apply for accommodations. This link is only for students who have never received accommodations at San Jacinto College.  

Apply for Accommodations

2. Students must provide documentation from a qualified medical professional regarding their disability. This documentation should be attached when you submit your request for accommodations.  

3. Students are contacted by email or telephone to schedule a meeting to discuss academic accommodations based on their specific disability. Students are contacted 5–7 business days after the application and documentation have been submitted.

Colleges are not required to conduct or provide testing or evaluations to determine if a student has a disability. The student is responsible for providing current documentation, and any additional testing to support the requested accommodations, if necessary.



Students who are 18 years or older are legally recognized as adults. Students are responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. The Accessibility Services Offices recognize that parents can provide additional information and serve as a source of support. We encourage students to maintain an open dialogue with parents as they go through this process.


Yes, your information is confidential and cannot be released to anyone without your permission. Please refer to the San Jacinto College Student Handbook for further information.



Students can apply for accommodations at any point in the semester, but we strongly encourage students to apply for accommodations a few weeks prior to the start of the semester.


An IEP or 504 Plan provides evidence of the need for academic accommodations and can be included as a supplement to a comprehensive assessment of tests. Additional documentation will need to be provided to support the IEP or 504 plans.



If you are not sure if you qualify for accommodations, you should contact the Accessibility Services Counselor at your designated campus. At that time, your needs will be discussed and, if documentation is needed, diagnostic resources and services will be explored with the Accessibility Services Counselor.



In college, students with disabilities are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and under the Americans with Disabilities Act. In high school, students are covered under IDEA. Since this is the case, the legal obligations change. There is no special education in college. Under IDEA, it is the responsibility of the schools to provide services and seek out students with disabilities. Colleges on the other hand do not have to seek out students with disabilities. It is the student's responsibility to see out services through Accessibility Services.

Accessibility Services provides accommodations and services in the academic setting. Services related to personal care are the responsibility of the student, which includes ownership of equipment such as wheelchair or personal aids.



If the student does not agree with the decision of the Accessibility Services Counselor due to whether (a) being denied or (b) disagreement on the approved accommodations, the student may initiate a formal appeal. Information on the appeal process can be obtained by contacting



No, you do not have to apply for accommodations to bring a service animal on campus. It would be greatly appreciated of you could provide Accessibility Services with a courtesy notice that you do have a service animal. You may also benefit from other accommodations and/or services that Accessibility Services can provide.



The Family Educational Rights Privacy Act (FERPA) regulates disclosure of disability documentation and records maintained by Accessibility Services. Under this Federal act, prior written consent by the student is required before Accessibility Services may release disability documentation or records.

FERPA does establish several exceptions that allow the institution to disclose student records without the student's prior consent. Some of these exceptions are:

  • To other school officials who have "legitimate educational interests" as defined by the institution, such as "advising".
  • To officials of other schools in which the student seeks to enroll.
  • In connection with a student's application for, or receipt of financial aid.
  • If disclosure is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other person
  • In response to a lawfully issued subpoena.