South Campus Theatre and Film offers a unique and dynamic theatre training program designed with your interests in mind. We will prepare you to excel as a performer, designer, or technician at the university level, or to jump straight into the professional realm of theatre.
What makes us so unique?
- Our Approach: At South campus we approach the art of theatre with the ideology of, “Let’s see if we can find a more effective way to produce theatre.” You’ll be taught how theatre has been done in the past with the expectation of modifying these practices to serve the more diverse, contemporary audiences of today and the future. This type of approach is impossible without an extreme level of collaboration between our students, our faculty, and the professional artists we hire to serve as mentors in our productions. We want our students’ ideas and input!
- Our Faculty: We have two full-time professors with robust professional resumes and an extensive network of contacts in the local and national theatre community.
- Professor Kevin Holden received his Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Texas at Austin in Theatre (Acting and Directing), and his Master of Fine Arts from the University of Houston (Main Campus) in Theatrical Design (Scenic and Lighting). He has worked professionally as a designer, actor, and director in Houston, Austin, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, and London. He was a founding member of one of Houston’s most dynamic theatre companies, Horse Head Theatre
- Professor Frank Vela received his Bachelor of Fine Arts from the University of Texas Pan American (Theatrical Design), and his Master of Fine Arts from the University of Texas at Austin in Theatrical Design. He continues to work professionally as a freelance designer throughout the Houston area. He was a founding member of one of Houston’s most dynamic theatre companies, Horse Head Theatre.
- Our Facilities: Come visit and tour our wonderful performance spaces, scene shop, costume shop, and theatre lab. We pride ourselves on providing facilities that allow our students to have amazing, hands-on experiences with state-of-the-art equipment normally reserved for upper level students. You can be designing and working on shows after just one semester instead of waiting until your junior or senior year!
- Our Shows: No one does shows like we do. Our productions focus on original experiences specifically created to cater to the wishes of our audiences and students. Our experimental approach to how a play is produced often incorporates live music, professional artists to serve as mentors, unconventional design, an experience where the line between audience and artists is all but gone, and new scripts that have never been produced anywhere else in the world. That’s right. We do world premieres!
South Campus Theatre & Film offers two distinct tracks for students to choose from:
- Technical/Design Track: Interested in scenic design, lighting design, sound design, prop artistry, stage management, theatre technology, events management, or theatrical carpentry? This track offers courses to get you ahead of the crowd when you transfer to the university, or prepare you to jump into the professional realm straight from San Jac.
- Please contact Prof. Frank Vela for more information and to hear about course offerings.
- Performance Track: Interested in becoming a well-trained performer, or learning the intricacies of the art of acting or directing? This track offers courses that will allow you to develop and hone your skills as theatre artist.
- Please contact Prof. Kevin Holden for more information and to hear about course offerings.